darkness

Beep.

"Good morning Eonnie! It's Lisa, I left early today because it's Monday. You know how the cafe is packed up every weekdays. Anyways, stay safe! I love you."

Beep.

"Hey Jennie, it's Jungkook. I left some dumplings for you at the kitchen. You know the steps right? Hobi Hyung and I will be there for dinner. Be safe."

Beep.

"Good morning Jennie, it's Eomma. I was going to bring you some fried shrimps but, Jungkook texted me that you already have some dumplings. I decided to just bring it to you for your lunch. I love you. See you soon."

Jennie places her beeper down on her bed. She heaves a deep sigh, moving her hands around the area to find her walking stick. Once her palms touches its same cold old pole, she instantly grabs it.

Trying to get herself up on her feet, Jennie feels the walls. Careful to not bump into them. Finally, she stands up with her hand tightly gripping on her stick.

Tap tap tap.

There goes the sound of the stick and the floor, the soft paddles that her slipper makes, and the harsh breaths she creates.

Tap tap tap.

Jennie feels the doorframe on her palms. She smiles in satisfaction when she realizes that ten steps away she can reach the kitchen.

Memorizing these steps is quite challenging, because it's all about numbers and Jennie doesn't like numbers. But in time, she got used to it. She got used to the steps.

Ten steps to the right, twelve to the left, thirteen steps forward, fifteen steps backward, and many more.

Jennie reaches the kitchen. She moves around until she feels the edge of the table on her left hip. After some time, Jennie finds her seat. She quickly sits on it.

"Alright, let's see these dumplings!" Jennie gleefully says as she feels the box of dumplings on her hands. She grabs one, bringing it closer to her lips.

Two years of being blind, for Jennie, is quite easy. At first, she freaked out. She couldn't sleep for days, because she knew darkness is what she will meet everytime she closes her eyes.

Open, close, close, open.

It's the same.

But for those two years, she learned to live with it. To live with the darkness slowly consuming her vision. To feel the walls, the food, the stuffs, everything. She learned to live with the pain.

The pain of not seeing her parents, her friends, and her loved ones.

It was dreadful. Painful. Sometimes, Jennie wonders if she could ever see again. Especially if she wants to see the surroundings again.

Especially spring. Wherein the flowers will grow, the weather will have its own melody, the cherry blossoms will let its flowers fall down to the ground.

Everything about spring is beautiful. Jennie knows.

Because she saw it. She saw what spring looks like. And she wants to see it again. One last time.

But when that accident two years ago occurred. And all she could see that time, was the car that flashed her by like lightning, as its windows broke into million little pieces and went in her eyes like a peck of dust.

No cure.

The doctor's said that they can remove the glasses inside of her eyes, but they can't bring back her eyesight. But, if they find a donor there could be a chance.

The problem is, when your living in this kind of world, no one will give you a helping hand without anything in return.

Hence, Jennie embraced the truth. She embraced the bitter truth.

So here she is now, twenty-two years and still breathing.

With the darkness living inside of her.