Chapter Two

Getting out of that clinic instantly became more terrifying. I had been sheltered as a child, growing up abused meant my parents didn't really allow me much socializing with other kids; granted at the time I didn't realize how odd my life was. And realizing that I had never really lived in the world was truly horrifying. I had no friends or family I could call for help as the only family I knew was my mother and she had already betrayed me years before and would more than likely do it again. Adding in that the 'entity' was gone and I felt useless.

Once we were out of the woods, we landed on a main highway where a trucker was gracious enough to offer us a ride to the closest truck stop. With a single phone call a friend of Vince's managed to secure us a room at a motel for the night. The moment my head hit the pillow I was out, the blissful darkness of a dreamless sleep took hold.

*****

I was startled from my sleep when a knock sounded on the door. Jumping up, I looked around for Vince and realized the shower was running. Being escaped convicts- so to speak- meant I was in no way comfortable opening the door for anyone. Instead, I pounded on the bathroom door for my male protector. How pathetic I felt.

"Vince!" My knuckles rapped on the plywood door frantically. "Someone's at the door!"

The shower turned off and Vince opened the door with a towel wrapped around his waist, distracting me with his chiseled and bare chest. "Relax, kitten. It's just Beth." He kissed my forehead as he moved passed me and headed towards the door.

Jealousy was an emotion I never really understood as I had never had real reason to feel it. Even growing up in an abusive household, I wasn't jealous of my schoolmates because I didn't know that my life was so different from theirs. But the moment I knew Vince's 'friend' was a female, that green demon surfaced.

I glared as Vince opened the door and the short, slightly stout woman sauntered in after hugging him. "Good to see you. How exactly did you escape that hell-hole?" She snickered, clearly eyeing his mostly naked physique with obvious interest.

Vince motioned towards me, "Wouldn't have gotten out of there if it wasn't for Dee. Beth, Dee; Dee, this is my old friend, Beth."

Beth's eyes traveled over me with a violating gaze and I recognized the green demon blazing behind her eyes. "She helped you get out? How? Flashing the guards to distract them?" She scoffed, tossing a bag onto the bed and ignoring my blatant glare. "I brought you clothes. What you had me get for her probably won't fit very well. But we can take care of that later. Get dressed so we can get going."

"Where are we going?" I took the clothes Vince handed me, clearly just extra clothes of Beth's and as she said, they wouldn't fit me well. While we were close in height, she had more of a curvy figure than my plain slim form.

"We need documents, Dee. I have an old connection who has dabbled in fake IDs and other documents. He's gonna hook us up." With a kiss on my cheek he headed into the bathroom, leaving me alone with Beth.

I turned my back to her, not shy about changing in front of her, it wasn't exactly like I had been given privacy at any point in my life; from being home where I was constantly changing in front of my father or the clinic where I didn't have a say in who watched. I was just delighted to toss the plain linen in the trash and be in regular clothes; ill fitting though they were, it felt great to be in normal clothes.

As I sat on the end of the bed Beth tossed a pair of boots over. "These should fit you."

"Thank you." My reply was barely a whisper and only voiced out of politeness.

"How exactly did you manage to help Vince get out of that place?"

"I, uh..."

Vince exited the bathroom, tossing the towel on the bed. "Pretty sure if we told you, you wouldn't believe us anyway. Let's just get going."