Chapter Twelve

My head was spinning with everything and far too much for me to sort through. I welcomed the drowning whirling blades of the helicopter, refusing a headset as I merely wanted to sit in silence and not have to talk about anything with Brandon or the others. My heart still ached from the words that Vince had thrown at me, but it was growing dull, because somehow I knew that they weren't true; I just couldn't understand why he would have said any of it to me.

As the helicopter entered the Moscow region Keepers base, I could see Damien waiting on the ground with a group of excited Keepers and cyphers. Brandon was first off, turning to offer me a hand, which I bypassed as I jumped out and headed right towards Damien.

"We need to talk! Now!" I grabbed Damien's arm, ignoring the many voices hollering at me.

"Why, yes. I am fine. Thank you for asking. And of course, you're welcome for saving your bloody asses!"

"Will you just shut up!" I barked as we finally made it around the corner of a building and were more alone. "Yes, I'm grateful for your help. How did you manage to get out there unscathed? And back here before us?"

Damien winked at me, "Trade secret I'm afraid. But I can assure you, I only knocked them around a little. Alright, I admit, I may have knocked Shane around a few more times than the others."

"Pretty sure I would've been fine if you killed that bastard. Anyway, have you spoken to Vince lately?"

"Of course. He's fine and he--"

"He broke up with me. I mean, I guess in reality we were never truly together, but it--"

"Wait! Hold up, love. You're telling me that Vince, our Vince, broke up with you?" Damien looked thoroughly confused. "That doesn't make sense."

I sighed in annoyance, "That's what I'm saying!"

"Wait... how did you even talk with him?"

"I may have projected to see him."

Damien's smirk grew, "You sly little minx!"

"Stay on point, please!"

"Right. Well, honestly, love, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure he's just sorting through a few things and soon enough he'll be begging for you to be back in his arms."

"Maybe you're right. The words he said... I didn't feel them. Like I don't believe he meant them. I have a weird feeling he was merely pushing me away. Like maybe he might be about to do something that he wants me to stay far away from. I don't know."

"I wouldn't stress about it, love. You have far more important things to be thinking about. But I promise you I will talk--"

"You know, I am still your Captain!" Brandon came charging around the corner looking annoyed, then surprised as he noticed Damien. "How the hell did you--"

I walked over to Brandon, grabbing his arm and leading him away, "Damien is overflowing with surprises. Don't bother asking him, 'cause the jerk won't tell you shit!" I let go of Brandon's arm, not realizing as he stopped walking while I continued towards Nate and Syd where they stood talking to a group of Russian Keepers. "Where are we staying? 'Cause I'm exhausted."

"Yeah, that's the problem here, Dee."

I stopped and turned to face Brandon. "Problem?"

"This particular Keeper base... these Keepers aren't aligned with Mages. Their base is built upon old ruins; old spells."

I sighed, "The kind that block user abilities."

"The kind that drain user abilities, actually." Brandon scratched the back of his neck. "These were details we didn't know about when assigned this job because at the time you weren't part of my team."