Chapter Seven

It didn't take me long to fall asleep, I was exhausted after all the physical exercise on top of the emotionally draining aftermath with Shane. I know I didn't get to sleep that long, being startled awake as the door flew open. All I saw was a bright flash with the distinctive sound of a dart gun before a sharp prick on my shoulder. I remember looking down and pulling the dart out, but the darkness immediately swarmed all my senses.

When I woke up, I was in a specially designed prison cell built for a Mage. That fearful child I had worked so hard to exile finally got her moment in the spotlight, the tears burned my eyes as I curled into a ball and buried my face. I could feign surprise as to why I was there, but I knew. Brandon had been wrong, they didn't burn dark users, but they did do something worse.

If a tribunal was called, they would have to convince all the council members that the accused was guilty; anything less than unanimous would free the accused. But if found guilty, the Mage was 'given' to Melanie in the name of science. Dr. Wolf nor her grandfather could compete in the level of torture Melanie's experiments endured.

"Dee?" The voice was muffled, but I knew who it was instantly, jumping up as Brandon pounded on the door. "Open the damn door!" he barked at a Mage beside him. "I'm her Captain! So you better open that fucking door!"

Without a moment's more hesitation the Mage scanned her access badge and the door slid open, closing instantly behind him. I jumped off the bed, wrapping my arms around his neck and it delighted me that his arms didn't hesitate to wrap tightly around me.

"I haven't even been a part of your team for a full day and I'm sure you already want to get rid of me." I half joked as he gently set me down.

His thumb tenderly wiped my tears, "Not gonna lie, you've definitely made things more exciting very quickly. Look, they can't prove shit! Watson says this is a ploy by the Mages' Council. They are the ones that voted against Shane's exile and removal of title and rank. They're trying to paint Shane as a hero by saying he knew you used dark magic." He sat on the bed, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees. "They have no way of proving you use it. Just deny it. The Keepers intend to back you."

A spark flickered to life, "How do you know?"

"Elder Markson has already convinced the Keepers' Council to side with you. This tribunal will fail."

I relaxed slightly, "Then I should use this chance to my benefit."

Brandon quirked an eyebrow at me, "Why do I get the feeling that you intend to put on a show out there?"

"I... have a plan." I grinned, my mind racing in excitement and anxiety; I hated being the center of attention when it came to crowds. If all I had to do was perform a trick or fight, it was fine, but the very moment I had to speak to said crowd I got overly nervous and tongue-tied; I couldn't afford a tongue-tied moment during the tribunal. "I need you to get me a compact mirror."

Brandon looked at me in confusion, "Seriously? Did you leave it in your room?"

"No. I don't own one, but I need one for the tribunal."

He only looked even more confused, "Uh, okay. Weird, but okay." He stood up, we don't have much time. Markson pushed for the tribunal to happen as soon as possible in hopes to keep our mission on time. You've got less than an hour."

"I don't need much time. Just get me that mirror." I turned and faced the mirror on the wall over the sink. It was time to enlist a little help.

Elder Markson had helped me to understand that the 'entity' wasn't entirely gone. I used a mirror like a portal, looking inward and finding a grand white room full of 'entities'. All of them looked like me, but wore different clothes and some spoke different languages, but they were all me. I had my theory as to what, or who they really were, but it hardly made a difference. I could rely on their strength to help me through the tribunal.