Chapter Ten

Vince

Beth became unattractive when she slept; snoring loudly, drooling and non-stop moving around. Granted, Vince no longer needed sleep. At least nothing more than a random ten minutes here or there; he'd doze off almost instantly and at random times, but he never actually felt tired. He had just been laying in bed, enduring the way Beth would randomly smack him as she moved, but then he felt Damien's arrival and sat up, locking eyes on the shadow in the corner of the dark hotel room.

"She was flawless. As usual. She honestly didn't have to say anything other than 'not guilty'; the Keepers had her back as I knew they would. She even challenged the Mages' Council when Melanie denied her request of ward transference. Obviously, the woman allowed the transfer, too afraid to enter that ring with Adelia." Damien snickered, adjusted his tie as the grin faltered suddenly. "She tried to kill Adelia."

With his pants barely on, Vince jumped off the bed, his beast's anger taking over instantly. "What?!"

"She is fine. I assure you. Melanie sabotaged their plane, intending it to crash in the ocean. They managed to discover the pilot's cabin empty just before the fuel gave out. Adelia managed to glide the plane just long enough to make a skillful landing on a beach."

"She can do that?" Pure astonishment mixed with terror flooded even the beast.

"She has worked hard to improve her skills. Well on her way to ascension." Damien stepped out of the shadows, practically appearing right in front of Vince with his eyes wide and downward and finger pointed. "How long have you had this tattoo? I mean, when did you get it?"

Vince looked down at his chest, "I, uh... I actually don't know."

He never really stopped to look in a mirror. All he ever saw staring back at him was a monster. He had no memory of getting the tattoo, but he had enough instances of time lost knowing he could've done anything in those times. He chose to ignore the how and why, liking the amethyst gem heart sitting within a gold crown and always how it felt connected to Dee.

"Bloody hell, mate!" Damien was suddenly very excited, an emotion Vince had never seen from the man before. "Do you know how much trouble we could've saved knowing you had this?"

"Why? What is it?" He took a step back from the bizarrely excited man.

Damien stepped closer, shaking Vince's shoulders with enthusiasm, "You're bonded to her!"

"Bonded? What? How?" Vince took another step back, bumping into the nightstand and quickly grabbing his shirt haphazardly draped on the lamp; he pulled the shirt on, feeling almost violated by Damien's grabbing, excited hands.

"Mages form bonds as they ascend. The relationships they form around them have the potential of forming bonds. Real love is a very powerful source, but when someone does something out of pure love for a Mage it can result in a solid bond forming. You become branded as their support, just your presence at her side allows her to harness more energy and maintain better control as the bonded share the burden of their Mages ascension. Most Mages never even bond with one, but true ascension requires a bonded for each element. As she says: unity."

Damien smoothed his jacket and tie, composing himself. "My point is that you are bonded to Adelia and by default your blood exile is no longer something we need to worry about. That bond means the Keepers have to accept your need to be at Adelia's side."

"Wait." Vince stopped Damien from turning away. "Don't tell her. Not yet. Right now, I can do more for her from out here."

"I couldn't tell her if I wanted to. For the time being, I have no clue where she is. I know she's alive and well, but exactly where... I'm sorry." Damien shrugged, "She has always been just outside of my abilities to locate her."