Chapter Eight

Brandon

He was waiting with Nate and Syd just outside the Mages' prison hall awaiting for Dee to be released.

"I can't believe she flat out challenged them like that?" Nate was like a little child cheering on his favorite sports player, his eyes sparkling brightly.

Syd nodded, "Yes, it was most strategic. There is no way Melanie would accept such a challenge without knowing the odds were in her favor. And when it comes to Lady Cavanaugh, there is no Mage alive that could face her. But now, at least, she no longer has to answer to the Mages."

"I'll still have to challenge her."

They all turned to see Dee with Elder Markson and a youngman in a suit. "For now, you all need to leave immediately." Markson turned towards the exit. "The farther from here Dee is, the safer she is. Melanie is a spiteful woman and she will put a price on your head just to avoid a future challenge. Your flight leaves now, Captain."

Brandon was staring at the youngman who was smiling too affectionately at Dee. "I will inform Vince of your recent win."

"Don't." Dee shook her head softly. "I don't want to give him false hope. Getting the Keepers to agree on their original translation of one aspect... it's not going to instantly change their minds about the blood exile. I'll have to argue that when we get back."

"As always, my love, I do only your bidding." The man bowed, fully sincere and Dee only smiled sweetly. He turned towards Brandon, "Captain Levitt, I do hope you intend to take better care of Lady Cavanaugh than her previous captain."

Brandon nodded, shaking the man's hand. "And who exactly are you?"

"You might call me a patron of the Keepers. A friend on the outside. You may call me Damien, captain."

"Will you stop lollygagging and move along?" Markson barked.

By the time Brandon turned back to Dee, Damien had disappeared; he looked around in confusion, ignoring the snickering Dee as she went ahead with Nate and Syd bombarding her with questions. The moment they were in the main hall, Nate and Syd were no longer an annoyance to Dee.

Brandon jumped ahead, tucking Dee behind him with Nate and Syd stayed on either side. The hall was flooded with people cheering Dee, on duty soldiers were moving to create a human barrier for the squad to safely get to the docking bay.

"Come along." Markson waved them to continue and the soldiers made a bubble around the group. "You're quite the celebrity now, my dear."

It took them more than a half hour to get to the docking bay with the crowds ready to intercede Dee wherever she went. She was shivering by the time they made it to the plane and Brandon had to buckle her in, sitting beside her. Everything was already in the plane and strapped in, they were officially ready to depart.

"Who is Damien to you?" Brandon couldn't hold the question in any longer.

"What? Why do you ask? He's just a friend."

"You know he's in love with you, right?"

She blushed, looking down at her hands in his lap. "Yes... I believe I am well aware of his affection. Anyway, when's this briefing supposed to happen?"

The way she rapidly changed the subject was all he needed to know that there was way more to Damien and her feelings; but he also got the feeling that he was reading it all wrong.

Syd clutched the laptop on his lap as the plane jostled in ascension. "Once the terrifying part is over!"

"It is rather strange that our Cypher is going out into the field with us." Dee turned to Brandon, her eyes hinting at the anticipation of an explanation.