A 'Bit' of an Error

Destiny smiled softly as she looked at her children. Her best friend, Mercy, was currently finding a suitable universe for them while she changed their Codes. Mercy had narrowed it down to the Bittyverse universes, but which one? They were all slightly different. Finally, he chose {Smol Skele Bitties 110!}, a universe where there were only bitties and humans. The monsters, upon reaching the Surface, suffered a sort of magical exhaustion, since there was so little magic on the Surface compared to the Underground.

To combat this, they split into tiny monsters they called 'itty-bitty mes', or 'bitties' for short, who needed less magic to be healthy. The bitties reproduced using mitosis, and soon, the whole Surface was filled with bitties, so much so that they started dying of a food shortage. Only the Sansy bitties survived, because they were hardier and didn't need as much food.

The backstory was dark, but the world itself was very peaceful. With only Sansy bitties, who didn't reproduce much, there were no more food shortages, and humans grew to love the little skeles. Although they were still viewed as inferior to humans, there were many laws to protect them, and it was rare to see a city without two or three Bitty Centers.

Mercy ran excitedly over to Destiny, who had finished altering the skeletons' Codes, and told her the good news. He looked at the now-bitty Error and Blue and sighed, fixing their heights with a wave of his hand. Destiny was okay at Coding, but not very good yet, and she had made them nearly half as tall as they should have been.

"Put them over here, in this alley," Mercy suggested. "There's this one person who works at a Bitty Center that always checks for strays in this area."

Destiny nodded. "That sounds like a good idea. They'll be safe there, and they might even get adopted!"

And so, Error and Blue were placed on top of an overturned cardboard box, located in an alley two blocks from where a girl named Hestia was beginning to walk home from work.

-----

Blue sleepily opened his eyes. Why hadn't his alarm gone off yet? And why was his bed so hard and cold?

Wait.

He wasn't in his bed.

Where was he, then?

Looking around, he noticed two things. One, he was in an alleyway. Two, he was very small.

He decided this was probably not good.

Carefully pushing Error off of him, he tried to remember how this could have happened.

Oh. Right. The VOID.

He face-palmed, sighing. Did the multiverse hate him or something?

Deciding to wake up Error later, he CHECKed himself.

-----

Blue, Underswap

HP 5/5 (100/100)

LV 1 (5)

EXP 0 (47)

ATT 5 (300)

DEF 3 (100)

*Friends with the entire underground

*Royal Guard in training

*Member of the Star Sanses

*Skilled healer

(*Has friends from every side of the battle

*Loves ErRoR!$4|\|$

*Mercy-chosen, Destiny-touched

*Turned into a Bitty by Mercy and Destiny)

-----

Only authorized people could see the things in parentheses. It was a gift from Error, once he realized how likely Ink or Dream was to CHECK Blue after a battle to make sure he wasn't hurt. They were good friends, really, just a little protective sometimes. The Mercy-chosen and Destiny-touched things were new, though. He'd have to ask Error what they meant. Were Mercy and Destiny like Fate? Blue hoped they were nicer than her.

He was shaken out of his thoughts by footsteps. Readying his magic, Blue stood so that the person would have to go through him to get to Error. He noticed that it took a little more effort to summon a bone than usual, but he didn't have time to worry about it as a seedy-looking man appeared. Blue could tell just by looking at him that his SOUL was full of hate and greed.

"What have we got here?" the man crooned.

In answer, Blue raised a sharpened bone, threatening the man.

He chuckled slimeily, walking closer. "Aw, bitty's got a bone?" He was only a couple feet away now, reaching into his pocket. In a flash, he was holding Blue, squeezing him uncomfortably tight. "Not anymore~" A collar snapped around Blue's neck, and he felt his magic being cut off to the point where it would probably send him into a coma if he tried to use it. He watched helplessly as Error got not only a collar, but hand- and ankle-bands as well, because apparently Error and Ink bitties were quite powerful, much more so than a "mere" Blueberry bitty.

The man stuffed both of them into an old birdcage, covering it with a cloth, and began to walk. Blue didn't pay attention to where they were going, choosing instead to attempt to wake Error up. He eventually awoke with what Blue assumed was supposed to be a bleary "Wha's goin' on?", although it was rather hard to tell because his voice made no noise.

He seemed panicked until Blue signed, "Don't worry. Magic suppressors make us not talk or attack. We're bitties and got kidnapped." Then, he was even more panicked.

Error used (a lot) more effort than normal to open a portal to the Code of this universe, and quickly scanned through the basics, relating them to Blue in sign language since he couldn't read Codes. It was a pretty good universe, but apparently there was a huge black market for bitties. Bitty fights, bitty slaves, bitty punching bags, all that fun stuff.

Despite being the Destroyer of Universes, Error had been captured, and was now rendered nearly helpless. He could only look at the Codes or CHECK people and, if he strained, he could talk, but it was quiet, garbled static. For the first time in a long while, he was truly trapped. Sure, he might have been able to escape-- he still had his godly strength and stamina-- but Blue? Blue could barely walk. Error wouldn't be able to escape and take Blue with him.

So he stayed in the swaying old birdcage, holding Blue tightly.

-----

Wow, this was a short, dark chapter. The bitty chapters are probably going to be darker than what I usually write.

You guys are letting me hurt you through my words. Why would you trust me like this? Do you believe everything will eventually turn out okay? It might. Or it might not. Not even I know. Or, perhaps, do you want to suffer? You've given me the power to force you to read through tears, whether of sadness or laughter. Do you realize what a terrible thing that is?

Someone requested I make Error and Blue get kidnapped and sold on the black market as bitties, and I was curious as to how that would play out-- Error is a god, after all. There would have to be a very good reason for him to allow himself to get/stay in a position of that much vulnerability.

Pun of the chapter: The Undertale multiverses are Sans-sational!

1083 words