Thanksgiving

I turned around. I had to go Thanksgiving shopping. I couldn't let Emily down. The whole pack watched me as I grabbed Sam's wallet and his car keys. I said, "Emmbty, do you mind if you come shopping with me?"

He said, "Sure."

Jacob looked at me and asked, "Can I come?"

I shrugged. "Sure."

I left the porch and I turned on the car. Embry sat in the front seat with me while Jacob pouted in the back. I said, "We have to make a quick stop."

Embry said, "Where to?"

"The Clearwaters'."

He looked confused as I pulled into her driveway. I got out of the car and sprang up her porch stairs. I knocked on the door and Sue's smiling face smiled at me. I grinned and said, "I need help with something."

She nodded and let me in. I said, "Since Emily is in the hospital, I have to cook thanksgiving dinner. The problem is the big fight is going on and I don't know what to buy. I could buy the food if...."

She finished, "If I could cook it. Well, how about we just combine our thanksgivings together, after everyone gets home."

I said, "That'd be great. We could do it at the pavilion or something. Just tell me what to buy."

She handed me a shopping list and said, "Please watch out for my son. He's my little boy."

She wrapped me in a hug. She whispered, "You stay safe too."

I nodded, holding back tears. She said, "Go along now. I need my food."

She hit me with a wooden spoon and I ran out of the room. I left the house and I got into the car. I said, "Let's go."

I pulled out of the driveway, and turned onto the main road. I took the main road until we got onto the interstate. I didn't realize my hands were shaking until Embry covered them with his. He said, "Are you okay?"

I pulled onto the side of the road. I asked, "Can you drive?"

He nodded and I got out of the car and switched places with Embry. He said, "Honey, what's wrong?"

I said, "Just stuff Sue and I talked about."

He got onto the interstate again until we came to the supermarket. He found a parking space and he pulled into it. We got out of the car and I walke to the doors. They opened automatically and we stepped in. I looked at the list. There was a lot of stuff there.

GRAVY, Rolls, Cranberry Sauce, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Turnip, Corn, two turkeys, green

beans, and an assortment of other foods. I said, "Boys, get two carts."

They obeyed as I whipped through the store, getting everything on the list. When we finished, the two carts were filled. I directed them to check out and we paid for the food and left. We loaded the food into the car and brought the carts back. We pulled out of the supermarket and started heading back to La Push. I turned on Christmas music and they said, "It's only Thanksgiving."

I shushed them as Bing Crosby started singing. They just chuckled and I sang along. When the song ended and Jacob said, "You're a really great singer."

I shrugged. Embry agreed, "You really are, Liv."

I smiled and said, "Thanks."

We pulled into the Rez and said, "After we drop this food off, we have to get the rest of the pack and go."

I swallowed and they nodded. My decision ocould cause so many lives. I said, "I'd like to see

a few people before. You guys go ahead."