Pain without Love

I ate my dinner slowly and the crowd slowly drifted away. Soon, I got up and said goodbye to everyone. I pushed the stroller down the road to our house. I thought about how I was going to move out. I couldn't leave Emily now. Alone with two kids. I couldn't go to college either. Might as well withdraw my money.

I lifted up the stroller over the stairs and parked the stroller on the porch. I lifted the sleeping twins out of the stroller and tucked them in my arms. I carried them into the nursery and put them in their cribs. I went to check on Emily, expecting her to be asleep. I opened the door slowly, cursing it when it creaked. I screamed at the horrific sight I saw. Emily was lying on the bed, a gun in hand, a bullet in her head. I sobbed and saw the note in her hand. I grabbed it and saw the tear stains on it. It read:

Dear Olivia,

I hope this is actually you reading it. I want you to understand why. Sam was my only love, I can't go on without him. I truly loved your brother. Please, take care of our kids. Please. I give everything to you. Everything we owned. Please raise my children right. Tell them what a good man their father is. Make sure they know we loved them. Please take care of them.

Love,

Emily.

I crumbled up the note. I threw it and punched the wall. I cried and continued to punch the wall. I now had a funeral to plan. My brother's and his wife.. I gulped and I made my way to the phone. I called Billy, the first number that came to my mind. He answered, "Olivia, why are you calling me this late?"

I whispered hoarsely, "Billy, come quick. And bring Chief Swan."

He said he would and he hung up. I went and checked on the twins. They were both sleeping peacefully. They were so delicate. I heard pounding on the door and I walked robotically to the door. I opened it mechanically and Billy rolled in, followed by Chief Swan, and Jacob.

I whispered hoarsely, unable to talk louder, "Look in the bedroom. Read the note."

Chief Swan, Billy, and Jacob walked into the room. Jacob immeaditley fled the room and wrapped me up in his arms. He said, "How could she leave you with them?"

I shrugged, lifelessly. Billy rolled out and was followed by Charlie. Charlie asked, "What happened to Samuel?"

I said, "He was hit by a car in a hit and run. The hit shouldn't have killed him but it did. The same happened to Quil."

He said, "Why weren't the police notified sooner?"

I said in a monotone, "No one could bring themselves to do it."

He inquired, "Where are the bodies?"

I swallowed. I said, "In the morgue. Carlisle saw them himself. He's working with them to.... Give to the families."

He said, "You should go stay with someone so we can... Handle this."

Billy rolled to the phone and said, "I'll call Sue. She'll let them stay."

I nodded and whispered to Jacob, "Can you get the pack and play and put it in the car?"

He nodded and I walked to the nursery behind him. I got a diaper bag and filled it with wipes and diapers. This would be my life. Diapers. I grabbed another bag and found clothes. I grabbed random onesies, shirts and pants, and socks. I filled the bag and Jacob came in and I handed him the bags wordlessly. I grabbed a bag and put in baby formula, and bottles.

Jacob returned and I gave him this bag. I picked up Maria and put her in her carrier, and did the same with Robert. I picked up the carriers and walked out the door. Charlie said, "You're not even eighteen yet. And you're going to care for kids? It's not even legal."