The Cave with Yellow Eyes (Rewrite-8)

"The cave! It's open! We found an opening!"

I rushed around the structure, towards the source of the sound and saw my teammates standing and looking at something in pure awe. I walked further to see, Daniel, an explorer like me, touching the edges of a gaping hole on the surface of that structure. A common person will say that it was a cave at their first glance but it wasn't, given its features: a cave is formed because of the dissolution of limestone and carries some sort of evidence or mark on it like stalactites and stalagmites. This structure, on the other hand, we hadn't seen anything like that; the structure was majorly underground and the only part that was above the surface looked like a huge egg with a hole in it. We curiously peered at each other, trying to capture each other's opinion, switched our flashlights on, and started cautiously stepping inside.

Two weeks ago a letter arrived at my doorstep mentioning that I was called to the Capital State for a mission. I was a famous travel blogger: I had experience travelling and exploring different areas of the earth that were rarely visited by humans before. Apparently, an abandoned island, some kilometres away from the coast was discovered by some seamen. Previous maps show no evidence that this island even existed. Before us, a different team was sent and while exploring, they found a cave-like structure - the same one we are standing in front of. One of them knocked on the front of the cave. What greeted them was the hollow echoing of the sound but then the knocking was returned as if someone was trying to imitate the sound from inside. That's when the Capital State decided to make a different team, which included three peripatetics, two geological experts, and some other people, to explore this structure and deem it safe or otherwise.

The first thought that came to my mind when we entered and took a deep breath was "a rotten egg". The structure's inside smelt like a couple of dozen eyes had rotten in it. After asking about it, the experts explained that this was the smell of sulfuric acid. After about ten minutes of aimlessly pointing our flashlights, we reached a crossroad; a few feet below from where we were standing was a step - first of its series. We could either turn back or go ahead. Choosing the latter, each of us descended but one of us stayed up,  just in case. We were now aimlessly pointing our flashlights when I came across a rock with a red and green pattern on it. As I advanced towards it, the rock rose on its eight feet with its horrendous needle-like claws and started to crawl towards me in frightening speed. In a daze, I kicked it and it fell to a lower step with a roar.

"Incredible," I heard a murmur. "How was that incredible? I was about to be eaten up alive by a huge living rock and you think that this was incredible?" I huffed. "Think about it; this island was discovered only weeks ago. And, from the looks of it, the cave must be at least a couple hundred years old. All this time, this cave was locked up but it managed to maintain an entire ecosystem of its own. I have never seen such a creature before," Daniel, one of the experts, said.

A hiss lined the otherwise silent environment of the eerie aura the cave. We all turned to look only to find another new horrid creature in the dark of the cave, a step below us, moving but only its green glowing eyes were what we were able to see. We all came closer to the edge to get a better view of the dancing eyes in the dark. Then suddenly, the glowing eyes rose; they rose higher and higher to the point that they were near the top of the structure. Our curiosity got the better of us and one of us shined his flashlight on that creature. 

The creature looked horrendous; it was nothing like any animal I've ever seen - they were intimidatingly gaunt and tall; the bright green eyes stood in contrast to the dark suit of skin the creature was wearing, which was far too tight for their body, their bones seemed to be almost protruding from their skin. When the flashlight shone in its face, it went ballistic and released an animalistic cry. It advanced towards us at a frightening speed its eyes were yellow as the sun now. Alarmed and petrified, we ran back towards the end of the first step, quickly climbing up. 

We were scared out of our wits as we finally made it to ground level when the dark cave lit up with yellow dots surrounding us. All of a sudden we heard a cry from Robin, my friend. While the rest of the team ran towards the opening of the cave, I turned to see the horrendous creature lifting Robin as his screams rose another octave. His screams ceased all of a sudden and the yellow lights disappeared altogether. I felt a tug at my arm but there was no way I was leaving my friend here. 

"Come on! We need to go!"

"But - Robin!"

"Come on!"

As I was being dragged towards the exit, I shone my flashlight at the spot I last noticed the creature and what I witnessed made me run faster.

When we all exited the cave, the experts launched a load of TNT inside and we took shelter far away from the cave. With a BOOM, the cave collapsed on itself, sealing every opening. Releasing a breath of relief, we all sat down on the ground and decided that it was best if this cave was left sealed till another couple million years.