Maalum (Interlude)

WARNING: Maalum is an exclusive character of mine (design by Tayarinne). If you use him without my consent, you will be reported.

If you are a sensitive person, watch out with this short intro. Just warning you.

It's a cold night and it rains torrentially. An adult jackal runs hurriedly and worried in the Outlands, carrying a newborn cub in her mouth. The mother hurries going to Reirei at the entrance of a small cave, placing the baby between them.

The newborn has a strange appearance. On the one hand, he looks like a jackal (hind legs, fluffy tail and black back). But, on the other hand, he looks like a lion (front legs and face). His ears are slightly round like a lion's, but pointed at the top, like a jackal.

"Kaikai. Are you sure about this?" Reirei asked, also looking concerned.

"Come on, Reirei. You promised that you would help me."

"Okay, okay." Thinks for a while. "Are you sure you don't want to tell me who's his father?"

"Reirei. We already talked about this." Kaikai's sad. "He abandoned me when I became pregnant. That lion is the last animal on whom I would trust my son's safety. It's better that he never comes to know his father." Hyenas laughter can be heard approaching. "Please, Reirei. Take good care of my son."

"Don't worry, my friend. He'll be safe with my pack."

"Thank you, Reirei." The two jackals hugs, crying.

"Goodbye, my friend." Reirei says goodbye to her friend when she runs again.

Reirei grabs the little cub with her mouth and runs away. The cub starts crying when Reirei pulls him away from his mother, in the middle of the storm. Reirei climbs to the top of a very high rock, where she sees a clan of hungry hyenas getting closer and closer to her friend. Kaikai cannot escape. Two hyenas jump high and catch Kaikai, who screams in fright.

The baby continues crying, when the thunderstorm intensifies. Reirei continues holding the baby in her mouth, while watching her friend being eaten by the hungry hyenas. Reirei says goodbye to Kaikai with her mind: "Don't worry, Kaikai. I will raise your child as if he were mine." Reirei turns to go away, taking the now dead friend's son with her.

This was just a short intro. The chapters will be bigger. And yeah. I know. There's still a mystery involving Maalum's parents. Don't worry. Soon everything will be clear.