Chapter 4 - From Evil To Good

This chapter happens during the beginning of the third season of The Lion Guard, until a little after the "Battle For The Pride Lands".

Zira continues training Kovu to kill Simba. He's getting stronger and more determined. Meanwhile, Maalum uses every available moment trying to convince Kovu to forget this horrible idea of ​​revenge.

However, Kovu has been manipulated by his mother for so long that he completely ignores Maalum. "Simba was responsible for Scar's death and he was the one who sent us to this miserable place. Simba has to pay for everything he did."

Maalum is discouraged and Vitani always tries to calm him down. "Come on, Maalum. You better give up on that crazy idea." She leans against him to cheer him up. "Kovu's not gonna change his mind. And... mom is right. You know she's right."

"No, Vitani. Even if she's right, nothing justifies killing someone." Maalum remains determined. "I will not give up."

For several days, Maalum continues trying to convince Kovu to end Zira's training, but he's not successful. Vitani remains divided, supporting Maalum, but trying to make him forget the idea of ​​changing Kovu, since she agrees with Zira.

One night, Maalum and Vitani are talking, sitting by a canyon.

"Maalum. Kovu's not gonna change his mind. Our mother continues to train him and he remains determined. You will never be able to change him."

"Vitani. I know it's hard, but it's not impossible. I believe that Kovu, deep down, knows that he's making a mistake."

The young lioness thinks for a while, but then she decides to change the subject. "Maalum. Let's forget about that. I... I don't like talking about it at all. You know I love my family and... well... I... I love you too." She blushes slightly.

Maalum looks at her with a smile. "Okay, Vitani. I won't talk about Kovu again." They both stand still smiling at each other, until Maalum decides to speak again. "Vitani. You have been an amazing friend. You gave me a home and you have supported me in everything, even if you don't agree with some of the things I say or I do."

"You're special, Maalum. You make me feel good in a strange way. I like your company and your way of being is... well... You are different from all the animals I've ever met. You are... You are better." She blushes, making him blush too.

"Vitani. I also think that you are special. I like you like I've never liked anyone before." He pauses, nervous, scratching the ground with his lion claws. "Vitani. I... I think... I love you."

Instead of answering, Vitani keeps her gaze fixed on the young hybrid.

"Aren't you gonna say anything?"

Vitani throws herself at Maalum, pinning him down. She starts licking his face with a huge smile.

"Hahaha. Does that mean you love me too?" He asks with joy.

"Yes. Yes, Maalum. I love you."

The two are very happy and nuzzles each other with love, until Vitani lies down with her belly resting on Maalum's back. They fall asleep with a passionate smile.

A few minutes after they fell asleep, they're awakened by an angry voice: "Maalum!"

They both wake up, scared. Vitani quickly leaves Maalum, getting up to face her mother. "Mom?! What's up?!"

"Vitani! I'm very disappointed with you. How were you able to bring a traitor to our pride?"

"What?! Who?!"

"Maalum! Kovu told me that Maalum doesn't like my plan to avenge Scar's death."

Maalum finally decides to face Zira and approaches her with a serious and determined face: "It's true. I don't like what you're doing at all. Even if Simba did you harm, there is no reason to use a son to kill someone."