Chapter 1 - Jackal Style

This chapter happens during the first season of The Lion Guard, mentioning the episodes "The Kupatana Celebration" and "Too Many Termites".

I want to show you the other side of Reirei. She's not only that liar and bad girl we see in the series. She has a caring side, especially about her children.

This chapter is really sad and calm. Soon there will be more action.

Kijana runs and hides among rocks, lurking to look for something or someone. "I will find you." A soft male voice is heard not far from there. Kijana lowers behind a rock, not wanting to be discovered. The little jackal lets out a light laugh, believing she's safe. Suddenly, someone jumps in front of her. "Got you!" She screams and jumps in fright.

"Maalum! You scared me!" She pats him lightly on the shoulder.

Maalum is a lion-jackal hybrid with a unique look. His face is identical to that of a lion, but his ears are more like that of a jackal. His fur resembles a lion, despite having a black back like a jackal. As for the tail, that is totally a jackal tail.

"That's not a jackal thing, Kijana." He jokes.

"Haha. Very funny, Maalum."

"Maalum! Where are you?"

"Oh. It's Reirei." Despite living with her pack since... well... practically ever... Maalum can't call Reirei a mother for two reasons. He knows that she's not his real mother, despite knowing nothing about his birth mother, and he also doesn't like the lifestyle that Reirei wants to give her children. He thinks the jackal style is wrong. "Sorry, Kijana. I gotta go."

"Can we play again later?"

"Of course!"

"Then see you later."

"See you later, sis."

Kijana watches as Maalum leaves. They're practically the same age and they have always gotten along very well. Kijana trusts Maalum a lot and loves spending time with him. She doesn't know why, but she always feels happier and more comfortable when he's around her.

Maalum goes to Reirei, smiling: "Hello, Reirei. What's up?"

"Maalum. I have a plan to finally be able to eat at ease in the Pride Lands."

"Oh no. Reirei. I don't like that things at all."

"Maalum. Your mother asked me to raise you and that's what I am doing. You're part of my pack. Behave like a jackal."

Maalum grumbles: "Okay. What do I have to do?"

"I want you to get the attention of the hyenas. They will chase you and the Lion Guard will come to save you, because today is the Kupatana Day. There, you convince the leader of the Guard to let you enter the Pride Lands. After that, it will only be a matter of time before we can all eat a good meal."

"What?!" Maalum is shocked. "I will not do that."

Reirei growls at her adopted son: "I'm your mother and you have to do what I say."

Maalum shouts: "You're not my mother and I'm not a liar!" The little hybrid runs away.

"Maalum!" Reirei calls, but he ignores her.

A memory enters the mind of the leader of the pack:

"I don't know if I can do it, Reirei." Kaikai cried. "I don't know if I'm ready for this."

"Kaikai. You're not alone." Reirei nuzzled her friend. "We've always been friends. I never left you and I will never leave you."

"But my mate abandoned me."