1: His grammar

NEW CONTINENT; JUNE 17th, 2051

— four years after The Mayor's defeat —

— Léon — 

Léon closed his worn book and rested it on the dusty counter of an empty tech repair center. A mix of jazz and 2020's psychedelia filled the silence, almost hiding the soft whirring of the air purifiers and the clinking from the faulty neon sign outside. Azziz and Lucca's spicy love story always cheered Léon up, no matter how shitty things were—and things have been really shitty since he was released from prison and realized he was all alone in New Continent.

He rested a hand on the book. Granted, the story was a bit unrealistic with its divine interventions, Lucca's soul-crushing power, and Azziz's happiness. After all, what kind of weirdo could be happy with a super-powerful monster for a boyfriend? Léon scoffed. Still, the book managed to put a smile on his lips...and besides, the sex scenes were great.

"Sorry for the wait," someone said. The person crossed a string curtain and placed a small plastipaper bag on the counter.

"Thanks. Did you manage to crack it?"

"Yep. This permir chip was more secure than the National Bank of NC, but nothing we couldn't take care of." The attendant had a nice, welcoming smile of clay-colored lips cracked by a scar on the lower right. They carried a mug of just-brewed mocha and wore an old brown t-shirt with a java framework logo. "I had to ask my boss for help. She's very impressed with whoever encrypted it." They placed an elbow on the counter. "Tell whoever it was that they have a job here if they want it."

"I will." Léon fished for his wallet. "How much do I owe you?"

"Ninety creds. But, uh." The attendant peeked over their shoulder toward the string curtains, then leaned in to whisper, "Can you keep a secret?"

"A...secret?" Léon's breath got stuck in his throat. All this drama and suffering started with a secret. It started when a Superhero decided to ask a Supervillain for a job—and Léon wasn't sure he was ready for another misadventure like that.

"Don't make that face, dude; I'm not gonna hit on you." The attendant chuckled. "This is just...the happiest my boss has been the whole month. I foresee one full week of chilled work hours thanks to you." They leaned in ever closer. The attendant smelled like coffee and after-shave cologne. "So I'm throwing you a nice discount, all right? It's fifty creds for you, my man." They leaned back and winked, giving Léon a wide smile of pointy canines. "And give me a call if you ever find anything like that permir chip again. Here." They gave Léon a small plasmetallic business card that read, M. Rabbit, they/him. Master in all tech and more.

So this was the secret? Léon scoffed, rubbed his face, and let out a small laugh. What was he thinking, huh? That a random hottie on a tech repair center would somehow put him en route towards the end of the world or something?