Chapter 4

"Wow," was all Harry could say in response. 

"I know. The nerve!" The clever witch gritted her teeth as she relived reading the insisted resignation letter from Lucius Malfoy.

Ginny looked to Hermione as the small group spoke about their professor's unfortunate situation. "How did you find out?" She wanted to know.

She froze at the redhead's question. No one knew that she had been visiting Professor Lupin's classroom in the afternoons, especially on a day when they didn't have class. "Um, I dropped by his classroom after we ran into each other in the hallway this afternoon. I had to ask him something about our assignment."

"What assign—?" Harry began to ask, but Hermione shot him a look. If looks could kill, this one would have whispered Avada Kedavra. His green eyes widened a little and he felt a small chill race down his spine. He licked his bottom lip and adjusted his glasses, "Oh. Right. That one."

Her tensed shoulders immediately relaxed. The Gryffindor Common Room was now deafly quiet.

"Well, we've got Quidditch practice in the morning, so I think we should get some sleep," Harry said trying to make the unbearable silence more tolerable.

Ron, who had been sitting in the corner of the large sofa, had surprisingly remained silent through the entire conversation, yawned and stretched his muscles rather loudly. "Yeah, sounds good. I'm bushed." He received a look from the other three who nearly forgot that he was there.

"You two go ahead," Ginny smiled warmly, "I think I'll stay up a bit longer. See you guys in the morning."

"Okay," Harry said as he bent down and gave his girlfriend a soft kiss. "Good night." He looked to Hermione who sat on the ground by the fire, knees pulled up to her chest. "G'night 'Mione."

She looked up toward his face, his glasses reflecting the fire's dim glow, "G'night Harry, Ron."

Once the boys were out of sight, Ginny turned toward her friend. She bit her lip, thinking of the piece of parchment she had found earlier in her possession that wasn't hers. It had been after her and the girl next to her had collided in the hall. It had dozens of scribbles all over it, scrolled penmanship of a certain professor's name. Unsure of how to phrase her question, she treaded carefully. "Listen," she hesitated, "Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but do you—fancy—Professor Lupin?" She was trying to be sincere, but she also found it to be a little odd that Hermione could have feelings for one of their professors.

"What?! No—what a preposterous thought, Ginny!" He's married to Tonks, she heard her brain mock. He's too old for you; he's a dangerous werewolf. She was afraid Ginny would remind her of those little details too.

But she didn't. "Okay, sorry I brought it up." 

xxx

She hated to admit it, but her feelings for him were starting to affect her daily life. Daydreaming about him was becoming more frequent. His eyes captivated her, as did his points of view on things. Everything he said or did made her jittery. Simple conversations that she would overhear about him in the halls or from her friends would excite her, so much so that she wasn't able to contain her smile.