Chapter 11

Babysitting Teddy would be easy. Babysitting Remus Lupin's child, however, was a different story. Although they were in fact the very same situation, the two felt like polar opposites when she thought of them in those two separate terms.

She shut her eyes as she dipped the feathered quill into the dark black ink that sat on the desk at her cubical. The maroon leather-bound book her professor had given her nearly five years ago was open to a blank page.

Hermione Granger: So it looks like I will be watching Teddy in a couple days.

The ink dried on the page, absorbing into the parchment as she waited. She sifted through her other journal—the one she looked at nearly every single day—that held every conversation they'd had. She'd transferred them over throughout the years. Reading the memories of their past "dates" always brought a smile to her face.

Remus Lupin: So it would seem. Turning 40, I can't believe it. 

Hermione Granger: Gee, you are old. I'll be 21 soon.

Remus Lupin: Don't remind me of how young you are. 

Hermione Granger: Sorry.

Remus Lupin: I'm just teasing you.

Hermione Granger: I know. So, what is on the agenda for Friday? 

Remus Lupin: Probably just dinner.

Hermione Granger: How—

She paused not sure of what to say. She could be sarcastic, but the words wouldn't read very well.

Hermione Granger: —nice?

The question mark was probably unnecessary, but it was too late to change it.

Remus Lupin: Yes. It'll be fine.

It'll be fine. She read the words over and over. It'll be fine.

Hermione Granger: Well if you ask me; you deserve better than "fine."

Remus Lupin: Too sweet you are. But I'm used to fine. Fine is...well, fine.

Hermione Granger: Well, I'm excited to see you.

Remus Lupin: Likewise. I don't think I've seen you since Christmas.

Hermione Granger: Sounds about right.

Remus thought back to the dream he had the night before. He had said that—about Christmas— when he hugged her. Without even realizing it, he ended up writing just that.

Remus Lupin: I had a dream about you last night. 

Hermione Granger: Oh yeah?