Chapter 10

It was late. Hermione looked at her bedside clock to see that it was nearly 3:15A.M. Her journal was restless, teetering side to side, letting her know that she had a message from him.

She flipped it open to where their last conversation had taken place and the book stopped rattling.

Remus Lupin: I know it's late. Hope I'm not disturbing you...

Her mouth quirked into a smile, the thought of him thinking of her so late at night was thrilling to her. She grabbed her quill. The young witch bit her lip nervously, not knowing what she should say. If she told him that she was sleeping, he would feel bad.

Hermione Granger: Not at all. What are you doing up so late? 

Remus Lupin: Couldn't sleep.

Hermione Granger: I'm sorry. Rough night?

Remus Lupin: You could say that. I read your article. 

Hermione Granger: And?

Remus Lupin: It's good. Well, if you like musicals. Thought I'd owl my tips over in the morning.

Hermione Granger: That's fine. Thank you again for reading it.

Remus Lupin: Anytime, sweetie.

Hermione Granger: So why the rough night?

His mind immediately flashed through his memories of the evening. He really shouldn't be discussing this with her.

Hermione Granger: You know you can tell me anything.

Remus had always felt like he could talk to her about what was ever on his mind. The fact that she always seemed to care so deeply for him made it easier to open up to her, but also made it more difficult to justify his feelings for her.

Remus Lupin: I know.

He looked at his response. It was so vague.

Remus Lupin: Where are you?

The question felt odd, almost like he was asking her what she was wearing.

Hermione Granger: In bed. You?

Remus Lupin: Lying on the couch.

She closed her eyes and pictured him to be in his office at school. He was wearing nothing but pajama pants. Pop!

Suddenly her stomach began to sink, she felt like was flying—no—that was impossible.

Her eyes snapped open just as her body's momentum stopped, mere inches above his sleeping figure. He was on the dark brown leather couch in his office, wearing only his pajama pants, just like she'd imagined. His chest rose and fell peacefully in sleep, a book partially covering his bare chest. He was beautiful.