10

"Pft, tone down the attraction, I barely even know her!" My mind had be stuck on her words for the rest of the night, especially her nickname for me. What part of me makes me look like a hunter? I can hunt, but how would she know that? "That damn woman has too much self confidence."

I looked around the area of what used to be my home. Sighing when Celeste's large self confidence could no longer distract me from the memories of this place. As a child the Berkshire manor would be full of family and laughter. My cousins and I had our own rooms down the same hall, but majority of the time we would join together in Stephens room — who was the oldest cousin out of us. But as I got older I began to realise that the Berkshire family wasn't as perfect as it seemed.

I stood, raising two fingers to my mouth to let out a piercing whistle. In seconds I heard the footfall's of Dereck, it wasn't long before he was in front of me, nudging my right hand in hopes of finding an apple I normally give him.

"Sorry Dereck, nothing for you today."

He snorted, turning his head after he inspected my empty left hand. I patted his neck before mounting him, kicking him into a trot. The sun had risen over the ridges of the town houses, sitting just above them.

With a small sigh, I made my way to the inn I had met Georgia in. Remembering that I was meant to meet her there just before sunrise. When I arrived I quickly jumped off Dereck, recalling that Georgia never liked to wait around for people. I handed him to the stable boy before entering the inn.

It wasn't full of roudy men at this time of day, instead it held only a handful of individuals either eating, drinking quietly or reading the news paper. I spotted Georgia immediately, sitting in the same place as the other night. I sat in the stool beside her, calling out to the barman to serve me a mug of ale.

"Sorry for being late," I apologised, turning to face her.

She took a sip from her mug, turning to me with an eye roll. "You better have a good explanation."

"I was up all night and lost track of time."

"Is that your explanation!"

I chuckled, giving the barman a nod when he placed my ale on the counter in front of me. My head snapped back to Georgia when she punched my arm, causing it to slightly hurt.

"You idiot man, that's no way to treat a woman."

I laughed, nudging her with my elbow. "Hey, it's only you and I."

Her frown deepened.

"Asshole," she hissed.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry for leaving you waiting, it won't happen again."

She turned her head towards me.

"Promise."

"I promise."

"Well good... Now you can tell me what you did with your night."

I contemplated on telling her my search for the strange door but then shoved that thought away when I remembered that she was a royal guard. Anyone that even dabbled with magic was sent to the gallows — and seeing that the door would suddenly appear, of course it would be mistaken as magic. But of course magic wasn't real — although she was an old friend it has been years since I've seen her and it was obvious both of us have changed in more than one way.

I shrugged. "Nothing really, I looked over the Berkshire manor."

"Oh... Were you alright by yourself?"

"I was fine, besides I had Dereck."

"Who?"

"My horse."