28

I was stuck listening to Lorcan mumble and groan in his sleep for the whole day. But by night I had made sense of all his mumbling and pieced everything together.

I waited until night when the both of us were sitting outside on the steering box before I brought up my assumption, rather bluntly I must admit.

"Your family was accused of using magic, am I wrong?"

He tensed, "Why this sudden question about it?"

"Like I said Hunter, I'm curious about you."

He frowned, "yes my family was falsely accused of wielding magic to assist them in killing magical beings."

"Yes, so the only place they would put people with such reputation would be the Labrassian Mines. The most secure, most strict and unethical place on this world. Am I wrong?," I didn't allow him to have enough time to answer, instead I carried on with my assumption, "It would explain why you have all those nasty scars on you. And somehow you escaped from such a place, the first man to escape from the mines. Letting that news out to the world would impact the organisation majorly, which is why they have sent out so many people to find and kill you."

He stayed quiet.

"Im not going to hand you in Hunter, trust me I don't gain anything from doing that."

"Why not? They would give you a handsome pay."

"I do not care for money, I care for new experiences. In fact I feel that if I stay beside you I will experience many new things."

"You can't be serious," he said dryling, looking over at me. I turned to meet him with a mischievous grin, "Oh but I am being serious."

"You really are odd, you know that."

I shrugged.

A girls scream ripped through the silence of the night, making our conversation die out instantly.

"Where did that come from?" Morgan snapped, looking around furiously.

I shrugged, "Probably just up ahead, it must just be bandits raiding a traveler."

"We have to save her!"

"Why?"

"What do you mean why? Because if you were in a position of need wouldn't you want someone to come save you?"

"No, my father taught me from a young age that your the only one who can save yourself."

"Well that's not my father taught me."

Up ahead I could see the fallen carriage and five men huddling around a girl on the ground.

"I swear to the gods Celeste, you better slow this damned carriage down," he growled, causing me to laugh. I did as asked only because I wanted to witness his combat skills while he was sober.

He jumped off of the carriage, "Hey, what are you doing?" he asked, walking over to the five men.

The smell of blood was strong to me, fresh human blood.

"I suggest you hurry and kill them Hunter before they kill you," I called, leaning back on the carriage.

"What the hell-" one of the men said only to be cut off by Lorcans sword piercing his stomach. Nor can pulled out his sword and lunged at the man closest to him who had drawn his own sword, Lorcan effortlessly knocked aside the man's sword and spun, cutting the man's throat as Lorcan went to fight his next opponent.

Lorcan ducked as the man behind jerked his sword forward, only to plunge the blade into his comrad. Lorcan didn't waste his time, sweeping the shocked man and sinking his sword into his chest. Lorcan stood, pulling his sword from the body as the other one dropped behind him.