Unease

<<24th Floor, Panareze>>

A couple of months later...

Akise lay spreadeagled on the grass which overlooked a giant lake. In that lake tiny isles were connected by suspending pathways, with a great big island in the middle. The weather in Panareze was rarely bad, in fact it made such a great spot for napping. Which was what Akise was doing at the moment: napping.

"So this is where you went, Akise! Napping again here as always, haven't you?"

Irritably, Akise opened one eye to see a dark-blue haired guy looking down at him. He wore a flowing white cape, grey armour plate, brown cargo pants and black shoes. A silver chain linked his cloak together, a silver bangle on his left hand and a cheeky look on his face. Somewhere in the lower levels Akise met Corvalt and he couldn't shake him off ever since; being followed everywhere and partying with this way-too-cheerful guy. However, Corvalt never went overboard with this, so Akise had no particular reason to leave this person. Perhaps, he really had no heart to actually shoo him off.

"It's a hobby so don't mind me. Done with the enhancements yet?"

"You bet! I got them up to +9! Maybe I can really join the clearing party then~"

Akise opened both his eyes and sat up straight. Occasionally he joined the clearers and of course came the price for it, he almost died a couple of times but still brave enough to try again. But then, Corvalt? Sure, Akise could guarantee he might survive the monster onslaught with his current equipment but...

"You really want to help clear the 24th floor?! Are you nuts, Floor Bosses aren't any Dungeon Boss around here Corvalt!"

"I know, that's why I purposely went for all those quests to get better equipment and practiced skill combos in the dungeons! I want to become a clearer, Akise, I know I want to!"

Akise really didn't like the look on Corvalt's face. Too hopeful, too determined... qualities which Akise did not have. Those words spoken held no meaning in the face of the battle, Corvalt has yet to realize it. But to realize it, he has to face it head-on himself. Anyways, mostly it depended on the individual.

".... Well if you want to be a clearer then... go ahead, I'm not stopping you. However, on one condition."

"Condition?"

"I'm coming along with you. To make sure you don't go dying on me later on."

Despite that dark statement, Corvalt merely laughed it off and flung an arm around Akise's shoulders.

"You're such a worrywart, Akise~ Okay, we'll go together! Want to party with me for some last-minute training for the main event?"

Nobody's worried about you, dumbass... Akise didn't voice out that thought since Corvalt wasn't entirely wrong about that and went along with his antics. Together, they left the area and headed straight for the dungeons.

******

"You can back out now if you still want to."

Akise warned Corvalt as they stood among the players, waiting for the doors of the boss's room to open. A bead pf sweat glistened on Corvalt's forehead, he took a couple of breaths and replied coolly.

"Are you kidding me? After making it this far, there isn't any reason why I should run away. When I say I want to help clear this floor, I really mean it."

Although he seemed nervous, a clear determination was set as stone in those eyes. Akise gave a rare smirk.

"Great determination, I hope you'll have that bravery with you throughout this fight. Don't die on me, partner."