Chapter fourteen

For the past weeks I have been visited by the silent brothers at least a dozen times. Each time they perform a different test and each time leave without any results.

I've been locked in a room in the institute, not able to leave. I've tried to escape a few times of course but with no luck. My lock picks keep bending because the locks are really weird, the windows won't shatter no matter what I throw at it or how much I punch and kick it, and I'm bored out of my god damn brain!

They have left me nothing in this room to amuse myself with apart from an old copy of a mundane bible in the top draw of the side table next to me bed. I've be reduced to cloud watching, looking for patterns on the wall and staring aimlessly at the ceiling.

I let out a huge sigh, roll over onto my side and stare out the window at the rain pounding against it. I close my eyes and listen to the noise patterns the rains makes when colliding with the window. It calming and relaxing. I nearly fall asleep when my bedroom door bursts open and the light comes streaming in from the hall way. I stay on my side on the bed with my back facing the door.

"The silent brothers can find nothing wrong with you," a motherly voice says. Maryse. "Nothing mentally, physically, psychologically or emotionally wrong at all. You're in perfect health."

"Then why the hell did I turn into Clary?!" I yell, a bit stressed out and desperate for an answer.

"I don't know," she says placing her hand on my arm. I flinch under her touch and she retracts her hand. "This talent is completely unique. Only one other person has been known to and still has this gift."

"Tessa Gray," I say. I sit up and face Maryse.

"Were both of your parents Shadowhunters?" ask Maryse. "Please don't take offense. It's nothing to do with you. It's just one of Miss Gray's parents was a demon and that's how she has this talent."

"I don't know," I say. "I never knew my parents. I was given up as a baby. I don't know why. I know they are both from Shadowhunter families, but that doesn't mean anything. I've been trying to find my parents for years. I'm close and I think I know who my parents are but I'm not certain so I'm not going to say anything in case I'm wrong."

"Fair enough,"she says. "Do you want to tell me and I can help you confirm or deny your heritage?"

"I don't know what you would be able to find out," I say. "If I'm right, then both of my parents are dead and so are all of my fathers family."

"What about your mother?" she asks. "Does she have any living family?"

"She has a brother, but they weren't all that close. The only real link I have to my birth parents, if I'm right, is a half brother. I think I have found him but I'm not sure yet. I'll need more time."

"Take all the time you need," she says and stands. "You are welcome here as long as you want. I'll have Jace fetch your things and bring them here." She turns to leave and then turns and adds, "I'm sorry for accusing you of hiding something. I didn't know and I'm sorry. I want to make it up to you. I want to help you find you half brother and any other family you may have."

And with that she leaves the room, shutting the door behind her. I fall backwards and let my head fall onto the pillow behind me. I let out a huge sigh and then groan. I understand she wants to help me, but she has no idea what she's getting herself into. My life is one big mess and I don't want to drag anyone into it. I could use the help and mental support but I can't bring myself to get anyone tangled in this tangled web that is my life.

I get off me bed and cross over to the door. I place my hand on the handle and freeze. I place my head on the door and let out a breath. I don't know what to do. I don't know how I have this ability and I don't want it. It just makes my life even more complicated. I close my eyes, turn and slid down the door until I hit the ground.

My breathing becomes shaky and me eyes start to get all watery. I just wish I had a normal life for once. Sure being on the run is exciting and an opportunity to see and experience new things, but that is ruined by the fact I have to constantly be looking over my shoulder.

I'm pulled out of my session of self-pity by a knock on the door. The handle turns and someone pushes on the door. It doesn't move very far. I see a head stick around the corner and find myself looking at Jace.

"Hey, are you ok?" he asks sounding worried. He pushes the door open enough for him to squeeze himself through and then closes the door. I lean back against it and Jace sits down in front of me.

"Kyla? What's wrong?" he asks. I cross my arms over my stomach and push back my tears. He reaches out to grab my hand but I move it away. He frowns at me and searches my eyes for a answer.

"I don't want to hurt you," I say quietly.

"Kyla, you're not going to hurt anyone," he says. "Your ability can greatly benefit people and be a huge asset to the Clave." He stops there, realizing he said the wrong thing.

"I don't want anything to do with the Clave," I say softly, my voice dripping with hate. Jace moves and positions himself next to me. He reaches his arm out to drape over my shoulders. I move like lightning and avoid his touch completely. There's nothing wrong with my reflexes!

"Kyla, you're being ridiculous!" he says. "You're not going to hurt anyone!"

"You don't know that," I say walking away from him. "Why are you here?"

"I came to get you for dinner," he says standing up and brushing himself off.

"I think it would be best if I left and never came back," I say. "Nothing you can say or do is going to stop me. I going to go far away from people, where I can't hurt anyone."

"Well if you're not going down to dinner, then neither am I," he says. Before I can protest, he continues. "I'm staying here to make sure you don't leave while everyone is eating. I'm going to stay right here and you are going to talk to me and tell me what has really got you feeling so depressed."

Ugh! Herondales!