Chapter One: First Shoot, Part One

Cover designed by  @Charlie_Vanilla

Five Years Ago

"Wow, this is amazing!"

I stood in awe of the gorgeous landscape ahead of me, my manager Julia finishing up on her business call behind me.

"That's Banff for you. Not a bad call for your first professional shoot." She took her petite suitcase out of the taxi and beckoned for me to collect mine. Clearly globetrotting was just an everyday occurrence for her.

I continued to take in my surroundings, entranced by the turquoise water that reflected the gargantuan mountains and plentiful forest in front of us. I knew I'd work hard, but I was hoping to play hard as well.

"So let's settle into our cabins - I just got off the phone with Mr. Acker and he said we'll get started in a few hours."

I nodded and accepted my cabin keys from Julia. We then departed to our own.

I closed the door and jumped in excitement into the queen sized bed.

Although I didn't intend to become a model, I wasn't going to complain if I got discovered through my ex's photography exhibits on campus. I was struggling to figure out what I wanted to do with my life and what to major in. I welcomed the opportunity to travel and learn more about the world.

Before I could daydream any further, a curt knock sounded at the front door.

"Oh! Just a minute!" I called out. I then smoothed my hair down, so I wouldn't look like a crazy woman who was jumping on the bed, and ran over to meet Julia at the door. I wondered what she could want now.

However, it wasn't Julia.

"Hi. You must be Alexis?"

I paused, processing who was in front of me.

He grabbed the side of the doorframe, his red flannel shirt slightly open at the top to reveal a hint of collar bone and toned pecs. His perfectly styled ginger hair swayed gently in the breeze. And his ocean blue eyes mesmerized me, almost as much as the lake before me had.

"Oh - yes, I am!" I awkwardly extended my hand to him, trying to break my likely unprofessional stare and replace it with something more work appropriate. I could imagine Julia chiding me about ogling the crew.

He chuckled and accepted my tiny hand in his.

"I like the enthusiasm. Great to meet you, I'm Chris."

I wracked my brain, trying to place the name.

"Your photographer this weekend." He leaned in with an amused sparkle in his eyes as my hand flew up to my mouth.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! My manager only referred to you as "Mr. Acker" and I don't know why, but I expected someone much much older -"

He held his hand up and smiled at me.