{2} Bedridden

⋆ ⋆ ⋆

⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Suzume finally felt her consciousness return back to her, and her eyes fluttered opened. But what she saw was not a familiar view. From what she could comprehend, she was in a hospital room. The girl mustered up all of her strength to move her head in order to get a better view of the room she was in. She shakily turned her head to the right, and when she did, she saw two familiar boys sitting in silence.

"'Tsumu, 'Samu..." she called out.

The two boys whose heads were facing the ground shot back up, and they looked at her in shock for a few seconds before they acted. Osamu ran out of the room to inform their parents and the doctors that Suzume had woken up, while Atsumu rushed to her bed.

"Suzu', you're finally awake!" Atsumu quietly cheered.

"How long was I out for?"

"Two days."

Those were the only words they could exchange before the door slammed open. The two turned to face the door, and they were met with their parents, Osamu, and a group of doctors. Atsumu and Osamu were asked to exit the room for a while, so that they could examine her and check on her condition. The duo sat on the seats near the room for half an hour, before the door opened again and they were allowed inside. When they entered the room, they could see the doctors who were visibly gloomy, their parents who were in grief and broken into tears, and their sister who sat staring at the wall in shock. Upon seeing this, they immediately became worried.

"I'm sorry, the condition she has been diagnosed with is extremely rare, and scientists have yet to conduct research on the cure," one of the doctors spoke. "There's not much we are able to do. We can provide her with medications that may soothe the symptoms, but other than that, it seems like she'll have to stay in the hospital for a while, years even," he continued.

Their parents were devastated to hear the news. And the twins would be lying if they said they didn't feel the same way. Suzume was no different. How would this have an impact on her life? Would she be able to go back to school again? How are her parents going to handle this financially? She didn't want to be stuck in the hospital for the rest of her life.

After arrangements were made, Suzume was transferred to a different ward for patients who were staying for a long period of time. The twins went home with their parents and bid her goodbye. Just like that, she was left alone for the night. On the next day, it was Wednesday, and the twins visited her after school to keep her company until it was time to go home and eat

"Hey Suzu'!" Atsumu greeted her when the door opened.

"Hi." Osamu waved.

"Hello, how was school today?" she asked them with a small smile.

"It was fine," Osamu replied with a blank face.

"Ah! We brought yer books so you can read while we're away!" Atsumu cheered as he brought up a large paper bag.