Last Day

Lisa Manoban

I am so dumb, so fucking stupid. I still remember what I did last night and man, do I regret it. I decided not to join the last activity of this 3-day trip by pretending to sleep. So, I am here, stuck in the bedroom, with Jennie on my head.

Why has alcohol taken over me? God! What would she think?! She might think that I'm taking advantage of her again! But... wait. I was the one who was drunk? So, she was taking advantage of me? No! No!

This is frustrating. I grabbed my phone from the side table and I answered the incoming call.

"Lisa Manoban," I said

"Good morning, Chief! I would just want you to know that the papers are ready,"

Papers? What papers?

I took the phone away from my ear and looked at the Caller ID. The realization hit me when I read the name. It was my lawyer. Divorce lawyer.

"Hello?"

"Hm? Ah- y-yes! Yes! I'll meet you in my office today at around 5:00," I said

"Okay, Chief. Have a nice day ahead!"

"Thanks, you too," I said before ending the call

I didn't even notice that tears have escaped my eyes. I chuckled. Even though I was not sober when it almost happened last night, I felt how she responded with so much passion. It was the most special kiss I have ever experienced. Jennie really did outdo herself with this couple pretend vacation of ours.

I stood up and got ready to go out. I want fresh air. This is what will make Jennie happy and I should give it to her wholeheartedly.

I walked by the beach and just appreciated the sea breeze. Jennie was not the perfect wife but these past few months, I wouldn't deny that she made me the happiest. At first, she was a big bitch but I understood that, she had her guards up and she has a reason to have them. I am thankful that she slowly let that down during this three day vacation.

I hate it. Why must it end? Kai cheated. Why does she wanna go back with him? Is this the real definition of 'love is blind'? If love is really blind, then, why can't Jennie just love me instead?

"They say that you're going through the most painful thing is when you cry and you don't even notice that you're crying,"

I immediately wiped my eyes and tears have indeed escaped. I looked up the owner of the voice who brought me back to my trance. I was about to stand up but she sat beside me.

"Who said that?" I asked

"My grandma," She chuckled

I looked at her and she was just looking at the sea. She has black shiny hair, prominent nose, brown eyes and she has this nice smile.

"Mind telling me? I'm a stranger. I don't judge," She said and I took a deep breath

"I'm married," I told her and I showed her my wedding ring. She looked surprised and she was clearly not expecting it. I then chuckled and stared at it as well.

"But not for long," I said bitterly and I brought my hand down

"Why? You look... whipped?" She chuckled with the word that she used, which made me laugh as well.

"We both need to grow. This marriage is not allowing us to," I answered

Lie.

I don't want to paint Jennie as the bad guy. She isn't. She was caught in the middle.