Blue Bird

Power: communication with animals

STEVE'S POV

"We plan on secretly going in through the roof." Nick explains as he points to the satellite map of the Hydra compound. I lean back in my chair and study the basics of the building, Nick touches the earpiece in his ear. "Excuse me, one of the students is out of control. I'll be right back." He quickly leaves the room.

"Nice place." Tony says as he admires the room.

"This is a pretty building for a SHIELD base." Natasha comments as she touches the screen with the map, zooming in on the Hydra base. 

"It's not." Tony twirls a pencil between his fingers. "This is a special campus for people with unique powers, they teach them how to keep them under control."

"So like a college campus but for superheroes?" Natasha sits back down in her chair. "That sounds cool.

I glance down at my watch, standing up to stretch my legs I walk over to the big window across the room and look out into the forest. This was a very well-hidden compound. I notice a girl in a yellow sundress sitting at the edge of the trees looking into the darkness. I watch her, she looks as if she's talking to someone. I notice a small bluebird perched on her index finger, she smiles at it. My heart pings at that warm smile, making me feel warm and bubbly on the inside.

"Avengers, take thirty." I say shuffling out of the room. I want to talk to her, I want to know her name. I skip steps as I make my way down the staircase, I search for a nearby door. I notice a balcony and step back outside, two floors above. I see her still sitting there, she's speaking to a man standing behind her. The bird is no longer on her finger but chirping like crazy on the branch above her. 

"You're rejecting me, Y/N!?" He yells at her.

Her name is Y/N, what a beautiful name. 

"Mikey, we've been through this." Her calm voice reaches my ears, making my heart stop for a split second.

"No!" He grabs her throat, holding her up against a nearby tree. 

This is when I get involved, I jump off the balcony onto the grass behind him. She makes eye contact with me, and her eyes widen. Mikey turns his head and glares back at me.

"Keep on moving, nothing to see." He spats, bits of spit flying from his mouth. 

"Let go of her." I say, reaching a hand towards her. 

"Make me." He spats in her face this time, and she winces.

"Okay." I lunge at him with all the strength I have, catching him off guard. His grasp on Y/N's throat loosens as he flies back into the tree. Y/N falls to the ground, she grabs her throat in relief. I step in between her and Mikey, making myself a human wall. "Leave, or do I have to make you?" I ask. Mikey scrambles off without another word. Bark no bite.

"Thank you." Y/N's small voice squeaks as she stands up to face me. My large figure towers over her, her big eyes sparkling in the sunlight.

That's her.

My heart aches for her and only her.

"I would like to get to know you more." I blurt out suddenly, I mentally facepalm myself. She giggles, and her hand lightly covers her mouth.

"I would like that Captain." She shyly looks at her feet.

"You know me?"

"Everyone here does." She lifts her index finger back up to the trees and the small blue bird comes back and lands right there in front of my eyes. "It's okay sweet thing, he's a good guy." I stare in wonder at her interaction, it chirps and bounces up and down, her other hand startles me when it grabs my wrist. She brings my hand up and passes the small bird from her finger to mine.

"Wow." I say admiring its blue feathers.

"He likes you." She says as we both sit in the grass together.

"Y/N-" I'm cut off by Tony's voice from the window.

"Hey lover boy, breaks over!" He yells out, causing a blush to form on my face.

"I want to see you again." I say to Y/N, giving her the bird back. I stand back up on my feet.

"You know where to find me, Captain." She smiles.

"Call me Steve, please."