36: Just us

|36: Just us|

"You... You lost... one hundred dollars?" I ask Toryn who looks at me with a sheepishly innocent smile, "How the hell did you lose one hundred dollars?!"

"Uh oh, she brought out the cussword," Nemo mutters while Toryn gulps both loudly and very visibly, "You better explain, Tortilla,"

"Toryn," I say with exhaustion, "Care to explain?"

"Uh... tax... evasion?" Toryn responds before Nemo snorts, shaking his head with his eyes closed in disappointment.

"You're stupid, Tortilla,"

"Shut up, Mop! You aren't helping my case!"

I give Toryn a stern stare, waiting for an explanation as to how this man lost money.

Did it fall out of his pocket or something? I don't know how that's possible, seeing how I forced the habit of him even using a wallet. I also had to threaten no more cookies if he were to lose his wallet.

And we all know Toryn would pick cookies over anything.

"Okay, fine..." Toryn sighs in defeat and hangs his head, "Rory and I got into a debate on if you two would actually end up together... around Christmas time, and I said no way 'cause you two just met and y'know, Nemo's in asshole,"

Nemo glares at Toryn.

"Then she said that just because I've never experienced what you guys have doesn't mean it's not possible, which shattered my ego, by the way," Toryn continues by folding his hands together and inhaling deeply, "So then after I cried for three days straight, I said that I'll give her one hundred dollars if you guys actually get together, and vice versa if the opposite were to happen,"

"Yes. I won, obviously," Rory states with a nod and twirls a piece of popcorn in her hand, "Dude was bold to think that he would win,"

"I don't know how you won," Toryn snaps back at her with narrowed eyes, "Unbelievable,"

"It's simple," Rory says with a tilt of her head, "I never lose,"

Toryn glares at Rory who only raises her head in triumph.

A soft, almost apologetic smile takes over my lips as I notice something about the way Toryn looks at Rory.

Almost as if he's never stopped liking her.

But when he looks past Rory and grins at Zoe, who smiles back at him and holds out her hand with popcorn for him to take even though he has his own... I notice something different about the look in his eyes. It's hard to place my finger on it but...

It's only there when he's looking at Zoe.

•.•

Sometimes I regret letting Toryn makr decisions and suggestions. Some of them always sound wonderful at first, but when you actually work on them, they suddenly become the worst thing ever.

Like this morning.

When Toryn and I were walking to our first period, Amber had stopped us and said that we got a request from one of the members to have a different snack at the table today. Then she asked if we had any ideas.

Toryn suggested a chip and dip platter with different dips.

As if we had any.

So now that it's actually lunch time, Amber's down at the store getting all different kinds of dip. But by some miracle, we already have the chips. Six bags of them. I'm not even going to ask where or how we have six bags out of nowhere...