Chapter Fifteen

The first few days I banged on the door as long as I could, until I got weak. Lucien brought me books and meals. I refused to eat, no matter how good whatever he brought me smelled. I didn't even drink the water he brought, instead I drank handfuls from the sink in the bathroom. Paranoia got the better of me, and I worried about him drugging me again. On the fifth day, I was across the room when he came in and I wasn't able to reach the door in time. As he so often did, he watched me carefully and set the food on a table. It smelled good but no matter how much my stomach growled at the delicious scents of fresh baked croissant potatoes and chicken, I wasn't going to eat it.

"You need to eat something, ma petite. You're getting thin." he kept his voice low as he leaned against the table with both hands flat, hanging his head a bit. He peered up at me through a curtain of those chocolate colored waves as I stalked over to him and glared.

"And you still fucking stink of cigarettes." I picked up the plate of food and threw it against the wall without answering him I walked away to the bed.

"Why do you have to be so fucking stubborn!" He shouted whipping the table across the room where it smashed against one of the walls; it was the first time he'd raised his voice to me. I swallowed as he leaned back against the wall, as always everything about him was so perfect. His hair shagged in his face, and there were little hollows in his cheeks from him clenching his jaw as he panted.

"I don't know, it might have something to do with the fact that you fucking kidnapped me!" I screamed back sitting on the bed. I untied the canopy, it was the only way to get any privacy.

"Do you think this is what I wanted?"

"Isn't it? Are you going to tell me you would have let me go?"

His footsteps clicked on the floorboards, he threw open the canopy and stared down at me. Like when I woke up he sat opposite me, leaning against the post of the bed.

"Ma—" he stopped himself and pinched the bridge of his nose as he sighed. "Amber, the moment I deal with the Italians you can go home."

"And it'll be what? Three weeks until then?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

He shook his head. "I don't know. At first I thought so, now I'm not so certain." His face fell completely, but those eyes held so much sadness that the rest of his face held in check. "From now on I'll give you your space." He took out a cigarette and lit it, the scent of cloves and cherries filled the canopy like incents, I tied the side back again as he smoked.

"Okay..." I pulled some of my hair behind my ears.

Scratching the bridge of his nose he shook his head before taking a long drag. "This isn't what I wanted. If not for the threat yes, I still would have been on that train but I would have spoken to you and if by the time we got to London you still wanted to leave, I would have let you." He wet his lips. "I want you, I still want you but I'm not a monster. Amber, I want you safe. That is all." Standing he buttoned his jacket. "Felix will be down later to clean up the mess. If you want anything, just ask him."

"Looking for the next one?" I couldn't help myself, he turned looked at me for a moment.

"More like trying again with the last one. Lydia and Fritz are over it would seem. Better the devil I know than the angel who damns me." He took another drag from his cigarette and ashed it in the bathroom sink basin before leaving. Once the door clicked shut I walked over to the line of white bags by the edge of the room and took out the yoga pants and tank top out of the last one. A peace offering, clothes I'd wear for myself before I joined the society. I showered and dressed, braiding my hair over my shoulder as Felix returned. He sighed at the food on the side of the glass wall and grumbled as he wiped it up muttering in French under his breath.