Chapter Twenty-Four

Lucien was distant on the flight back to Paris and the drive to the Chateau. When we entered the massive palace, people were already leaving. Willa stayed behind to spend a week on the yacht with Maxime, leaving me somewhat alone. I didn't feel so isolated with Lucien there, but it meant I felt his quiet more than I usually would have especially after the morning we'd had. He stood in the entryway smoking a cigarette as he looked around. Those eyes blue like the Mediterranean focused on me and he smiled but he didn't look happy. I closed the space between us and took his free hand and he tilted his head to the side as I laced my fingers with his.

"Ma Petite?"

"Thank you." It was all I could really think to say. He'd kept his word after all and nothing happened to me or Willa—minus the kidnapping and me witnessing a murder. "You kept me safe just like you said."

"Oui, I'd never be glib about such things. You are incredibly precious." Taking a drag from his cigarette he let his hand fall from mine. "I have some business to finish, then we'll head back to Paris."

"Okay..."

Nodding he started up the curving staircase, I watched him before following and gathering up my dresses packing for a return to the mansion. As I finished up and zipped the suitcase he entered the room, watching me closely. Blue black, his suit brought warmth to his hair while making his eyes seem all the brighter, the study in color made him seem like a work of art.

"Are you ready?"

I nodded and yanked the suitcase off the bed, Felix was waiting outside of the door and took it from me as we walked outside. Lucien's contemplative silence continued as we sat in the back of the limo. After we'd been driving for a while he shut his eyes and took a deep breath before exhaling it and opening his eyes.

"Do you want to go back to America or London?" he asked in a soft whisper raising his eyes to mine. It was like I'd been stabbed through the heart.

"What?" He couldn't possibly mean for me to leave after our morning together and the moment we shared.

"The plane is on standby at the airstrip, all I need to do is tell the pilot where to charter the flight. I told you when it was over I was going to let you go. So I'm letting you go," he swallowed. "It's for the best, Ma petite. I care too much for you to place you in danger again. There's going to come a time when I won't get to you in time, or I won't be able to solve whatever crisis and I couldn't bear to be the cause of your death."

I drew a shuddered breath and pressed my forehead to the window. "Lucien, I don't care anymore I want to stay."

Shaking his head, he stayed facing forward. "Ma petite, last night when I saw the look on your face after Bianca was shot, I realized I don't want to ever see such shock and anguish in your eyes. I love you and that's why I'm setting you free no matter how much it pains me. Beyond my promise to you, deep down you know this is right." I couldn't argue with him even as tears blurred my vision so I didn't try.

By the time the limo pulled up on the tarmac I was numb inside. People were loading things on the jet and I didn't want to get out of the back of the limo. I didn't want to leave France and Lucien. Even after all he did this wasn't what I wanted anymore. The driver opened the door and he got out and waited for me, watching me carefully. Frowning I forced myself to follow him but I felt hollow inside as I stood beside him and looked at the jet.

"Will you at least fly with me?" I asked, glancing him over as he smirked and looked around.

He nodded and followed me up the stairs toward the plane. I paused and pursed my lips.