WELCOME!

Why hello there! It's great to see y'all again. We know we've been gone for a while - got kidnapped by some infected parrots, had to bust down some doors... it's a long story - but get excited because we're back to host the largest graphics competition on Wattpad: the GRAPHIC WATTYS! 🥳🎉

We all know that a book cover can make or break a book's success, so we're here to celebrate all of the talented designers that are creating eye-catching covers for the authors here. Whether this is your first year designing or your fifth, we hope to recognise your contribution to the graphic design community here. For #graphicwattys2020, we have 12 categories, so without further ado, let's introduce the first one!

1. NEW TALENT

Every designer was a beginner once, and we all know how tough it can be to get started with the complex photo editing softwares we use. For designers who first started designing within the past year, this category is to recognise the progress you have made, acknowledge your hard work, and to welcome you to the community.

2. DARK COVERS

This is a wide genre of design on Wattpad encompassing many things under it. Really what we are looking for when talking about dark covers is good use of contrast and tones to build a sense of dark ominous feelings. Happy feelings are for the weak here. stares at the dancing parrots. Yeah, who could possibly be happy here.

3. LIGHT COVERS

These are covers that are usually associated with teen fiction and romance! Usually light covers have light colours (who would've thought... also, try to say that out loud multiple times). Their mood is bright and happy, most of the time!

4. MANIPULATED COVERS

Manipulation is a talent separate from most other parts of design. It feels more like an art than anything. Designers arm their cupboards full of stock models and smoke brushes, combining images seamlessly to make something from nothing and have it be convincing. The designers who specialise in this style deserve all the praise for the work which manipulation requires to get right. From lighting to getting anatomy correct, everything has to be just right: a warrior for and against reality!

5. SIMPLE/MINIMALIST COVERS

These are covers that exemplify "less is more". The former has a photograph base with artfully-placed text, whereas the latter - well, it's simple art that's not simple to do at all. If you're still confused, search up minimalism and you'll get your answer!

6. BANNERS/BLENDS/STORY ADS

Design isn't just limited to covers - and with that in mind, here's your chance to showcase your banners, blends and story ads! Banners are usually landscape and detail some elements of your story, blends are where you mix multiple images onto a background, and story ads serve to promote your story. (If you have any questions about whether yours qualifies, please do ask!) After all, we all know we're guilty of spending way too much time on story-related things than actually writing or reading...

7. BOOK JACKETS

Everyone knows a book has more than one side. Being able to make a book jacket means you can design the front, back, and spine of a book and everyone knows that an interesting blurb and design is what leads people to read the book. Use your creativity as a designer and let us see some of that professional talent by showcasing your best book jacket designs!

8. ICONS

The first thing someone notices when they go on a person's profile is most likely the icon. Despite being small, an icon can define what a profile is about and it isn't limited to any sort of style. Simple or manipulated, light or dark, icons can be designed in any way! In this category, show us your best icons and prove why tiny can still be mighty.

9. MANIPULATIONS

Photo manipulations are a beautiful part of design, and here is your chance to showcase yours! Manips typically involve transforming or altering images to achieve a desired result. They can be light or dark, big or small. For example, one of the parrots wishes there was a photo of them with dragon wings! That's a great idea, actually...

10. THREADS

Remember the MDC? Well, if you don't, that's OK - it was the multimedia design club! Designers had shops for it, and for these, they made threads promoting the shops. These are threads that are made of images and are a surefire way to get lots of customers.

11. MOBILE DESIGNERS

These designers make even the most powerful parrots swoon. Their creativity and ability to create on a limited platform shines bright in a sea of layer masks and bevels. They don't need any of that to succeed, and the parrots agree that this year they needed a place to shine on their own.

12. DIGITAL AND MISCELLANEOUS ART

Painting, drawing, doodling, photography, vectors, digital paintings - you name it, and it fits here! While we've always been focused on digital art (that's what graphics mean...) we recognise that art is a community, and we want to make sure everyone's included. Anything can qualify as miscellaneous art - your imagination is the limit!

Note: The Graphic Wattys 2020 aren't open yet! They'll be open once we are done with the rest of the set up, so get tagging your friends and spread the word. We're excited and hope you are too!