CHAPTER TWO • VALERIE

My eyes watered with tears as I stormed off. I can't believe that Josh broke up with me! As I entered the big stall in the bathroom I sat on the toilet, eyes stinging with tears.

After about a minute I was done, but I just sat there. I knew I couldn't go back, it would soon be all over the 7th grade that Josh had broken up with me. Most gossip travels in about a day.

After another minute or to I looked down at my watch and saw lunch would be ending soon. Thank God. I unlocked the door and walked out towards the bathroom mirror.

I pulled my bag from over my shoulder off and got out my makeup bag. Once I had adjusted my eye makeup so it no longer looked runny, I walked back to the cafeteria.

My class was lining up and someone had already thrown out my lunch tray. I lined up with the class and avoided Josh's gaze from the other side of the cafeteria.

•••

By the end of 3rd core I had gotten over Josh. Besides, the only reason he had been sitting at the popular table is because he was my boyfriend. I might enjoy watching his popularity scale down.

I currently was in science listening to Mr. Callmon walk us through an expirment. "Now mix the blue with the red and..." I touched the glass containing the blue liquid briefly but the school nerd, Katie took over. It was for the best anyway, I wouldn't want to chip my newly done nails. The blue and the red foamed into a purple fountain and spilled down the sides of the beaker and on to the metal try underneath it. I looked around and saw other fountains of purple foam the looked back at Katie, who was studying the fountain. As soon as it stopped she pushed her brown, short hair behind her ear and the rim of her black glasses.

I will give her credit though, if she ever took the time to maybe apply some makeup and loose the glasses she would look pretty cute. I mean she already had pretty skin and captivating green eyes. Her eyelashes were decently long and already naturally curled just a bit. Of course I didn't tell her this, but I was thinking it.

She scribbled something in her book then called my attention back in. "So, if..." I didn't really pay attention to the rest of that sentence because I was off and daydreaming again. "Valerie! Hello?" I heard her call and turned back around to face her.

"Oh sorry, I zoned out." But almost as soon as I said it Mr. Callmon got the class's attention with his booming voice.

"Alright, start packing up, I need the beakers brought up to the front before anyone leaves." The class shuffled, around some kids bringing the trays toward the front of the room. I thought I would be nice and bring the tray up but just as I stood up, tray in hand.

CRASH!

CLATTER!

Some boy ran by knocking the tray and beaker onto the floor, and knocking the purple goop all over me.

"Oh! Sorry!"

I ran over to the tissue box and Katie sighed and took her cue to pick up the tray and the surprisingly unbroken beaker to the front.