CHAPTER EIGHT • VALERIE

I sat in the empty stall with hay piled up in the corner. I looked over to the stall beside of me and another horse was sticking his nose to me interested. I flattened my ears annoyed. It was bad enough I was turned into this monster, but I felt so kept away in the quiet barn. I went from being the most popular girl in school, to the mare of the stable. I stretched out my wings but didn't have enough room so they automatically folded back in.

Then I saw Carter round the corner, coming into the barn. I called to him as a I saw him coming over. "Hey. I came to ask you a favor." He said once he got to me. I let out a sigh and listened to his request."Well, since we have to bring down Harlina, some boys in the village said that army practice could help. And they told me to bring a horse... So..." I didn't listen anymore and let out a squeal, trying to say no. He obviously understood. "Come on! I can't do it alone, besides it could benefit you too. Plus tomorrow Bax said he would teach you how to fly." He said and I neighed feeling a bit better. Flying did sound fun, even if I didn't want anything to do with Baxter.

"So is that a yes?" He asked and I thought it over just a bit. I mean what harm could it do, we did need all the help we could get to defeat Harlina. And there was no backing out of the deal to take down the evil witch now. Plus, I really didn't want to stay like this forever. I shook my head up and down in a nod sort of way. "Yes! Thank you Valerie!" He said and petted my white nose. I thought about backing up but at least I somewhat knew Carter, unlike that Baxter, or Bax, boy from earlier.

Once Carter left, the horse tried his luck with me again and this time I nipped him on the nose and flapped my wing at him angrily. For the rest of the night he didn't come over to me again.

•••

It was early that morning and Carter woke me up, Bax standing beside him. I really didn't trust Bax so I flattened my ears and side eyed him. Plus it was early and I was still tired.

I stood up, sort of wobbly but I was getting a lot better. Katie stood just outside the stall, it was still kind of dark outside so the only light was from the bright lanterns in the barn.

"Ready to fly?" Carter asked and I bobbed my head up and down, saying yes. Bax brought over a bridle and I stuck up my nose, giving him a really hard time putting it on.

"Come on horse!" He said pulling at my nose I snorted at him and pulled away. He got an odd look in his eye and I flattened my ears. It was like a glint of fire.

"Can I try?" Katie asked and took the bridle from Bax. I snorted at her too, but eventually let her get it on. The cold metal bit sat on my big tongue awkwardly. I didn't like it so I played around with it in my mouth. Gosh, how do horses stand this? Next was the saddle and Bax did this part, I stuck out my wing a few times just to annoy him. It worked and Carter had hold it down while he tightened the girth.

"There all done, now let's get to work. Hope she isn't as much if a tool when we get started." He said and let Katie lead me out.

"It's ok." She whispered to me, Carter and Bax didn't hear it but I did. I settled a bit as she stroked my neck, but I still got antsy as we aproched a wide open Feild with a small cliff at the end.

"We will first need to get her used to someone on her back, and then we can start with flying." Bax said coming over to my left side. "Read up on it a bit last night and if I just..." he said and he poked a certain spot on my shoulder and my wing collapsed allowing him to use it as a step to get on. Once he was mounted it felt weird, like when Katie and Carter had been on me, riding to the village. But what was different was one, I didn't really trust him on my back, and two, he had control over my head with the reins.

"Walk." He said and I moved forward. I knew what all the comands were since I used to ride, but I quit a while back. It got really hot in the summer and I didn't enjoy it that much. He walked me through the comands anyway and he was a bit stern on my rein. I tried throwing him off more then a few times but hey, would you want someone on your back control if your every move?

The saddle was really tight so without him noticing I used one of my wings to undo the girth. He asked for the trot and slid off. I neighed in laugher and Katie and Carter came over.

"Maybe try without the saddle." Carter suggested helping Bax up.

"Well it will be harder to stay on but easier to get her in the air. Maybe we could attempt that now." Bax said takeing my rein and lifting it over my head so it was infront of me. "Alright so have one of you on each side. When I say so unfold her wings." He commanded. He gave the signal and out they went, stretched out to their full length. Bax started to run dragging me along with him, the wind caught my wings and ever so slightly I drifted upward. I flapped them to gain my balance and I rose higher. Finally, once I was well off the ground Bax let go and I soared above the ground. I was really shaky but I was able to keep myself in the air.

"Whoo!" I heard someone say followed by an exited whistle. I lowered to the ground landing with a soft thud. "You did it!" Carter said as the group came over. Katie pet me on the shoulder and it felt kind of nice. I still didn't really trust Bax so I kept my distance. There was something about him, but I wasn't sure what it was.

We walked around the village to get some fresh air. It felt nice to stretch my legs, all four of them. On the way a few girls came over and asked to pet me. They were about six or maybe seven in age and the petted me from all angles. It wasn't really fun so I flattened my ears and swatted my tail at one of them. They eventually left and we continued on. Back to the barn, away from the rest of the village.