CHAPTER SIX • KATIE

Carter and I watched behind another tree and gasped in surprise. The witch didn't hear us because she was too busy smiling at her evil curse. We didn't move from our spot because we were scared she might have another spell up her sleeve.

Carter's face drained when the green flames cleared and I let my jaw drop in shock. There was Valerie, but instead of her normal look, there now lied a pure white horse with elegant wings on either side. The witch made a long, floor length mirror apear infront of her. Valerie sat up a squealed in anger and she tried getting up on her now four legs but was wobbling from side to side. She finally collapsed and the witch let out a loud cackle, flipped her long hair, and went away in a puff of smoke. We ran over to Valerie's side and she let out a neigh of relief.

"Valerie? Is it really you?" Carter asked and Valerie sighed and gave a look as if to say, Of course it's me you dope. "Guess that is a yes." He responded and we tried helping her get to her feet. It took a few times but she eventually got on them and was able to walk forward.

"What now? Should we find someone who can help?" I said as we walked down the road, Carter and I holding on to each side of Valerie's big shoulders. We somewhat supported her but she was still getting used to an additional two legs.

As if on cue a rumble came from the path that was now widening as we made our way out of the forest. About 10 men and women on horses trotted to a stop infront of us. Valerie let out a neigh to one of them and they echoed it back. "Who are you? We saw the magic bursts from our village not far from here." The man in the front said looking us over. "Your not from here, are you?"

"No, and we need help. We just ran into that witch Harlina, or something like that." I said and a gasp rippled through the crowd.

"Why were you anywhere near Harlina? Wait... Did you come through the portal?" He asked hesitant and Carter and I nodded. Then a thunderous cheer came through the crowd. Carter and I looked back and forth confused. Even Valerie let out a little snort. "Follow us to our village, we have much to discuss. Oh, and welcome to Elicta." He said and two of the people got off their mounts and helped Carter and I get onto Valerie. She was not a fan of that idea and pinned her ears back and shifted around. Carter tryed to get off to help her walk, but they told us it would be a short ride.

Valerie kept wobbling down the road and ever so often she would stick her beautiful wings out to warn the horses not to get too close.

•••

"So you came from a museum, led by a blue sparkle, and Harlina turned that one into a pegasus. Yup that all lines up." The man from earlier said and Valerie pinned her ears for a second the set them back to normal.

"What lines up?" Carter asked. Man pulled out a small folded up paper and unfolded it. It was deeply creased and looked very old. On it was a boy and a girl on a horse with wings, infront of the stood a witch who looked to be shielding herself. A blue Star was seen above the picture. Below was a caption, written in deep cursive.

"It says, a sliver of magic will drift away from Elctia, into the Earth Realm. Then it will seek out three individuals one of which a winged horse. They will defeat the which and bring back peace." He finished folding the paper back up and stuffing it back into his pocket. "That is why we need you. And, it is the only way you can return home. He said and I tapped Carter on his shoulder.

"Um, can we talk about this?" I asked the man and he nodded. Valerie shifted her weight and followed us as we walked to get out of hearing range from the man. "So, what should we do? On one hand we get to go home..." I said and Carter chimed in.

"But on the other hand we could all end up like Valerie." He said and Valerie swatted her tail at him in a gleam of white. "Ow." He replied.

"Well would you rather stay here for the rest of your life? I think it is the only choice." I said and Carter shrugged and nodded.

"I guess, but I'm not dying in the process." He said and we turned back to the man. He was grooming his grayish-brown head of hair. He had a square shaped jaw that was dotted with stubble and he was strongly built.

"Alright, we are in but do you promise we can get home and help Valerie?" I asked pointing over my shoulder at her.

"Yes, defeating Harlina will certainly undo any curses placed along the way. And it will open the portal back up so you can get home." He said and we all nodded.

"Ok, we will do it, but I forgot your name." I said and he gave a grateful smile.

"My name is Jakob Garlison, I am the General of this village. You can call me Jake if you wish. Baxter will show your steed to her stall and you to your room. Baxter!" He shouted and clapped his hands. A boy appeared from outside and stood in the doorway of the tent we were in. He had black medium length hair and kind blue eyes. He had a strait look on his face as he stood at attention. He was dressed in a green log sleeved shirt cut at the ends of the sleeves with little zigzags.

"Yes, Sir?" He asked in a polite voice.

"Take the horse, or Valerie I should say, to one of the stalls and take Carter and Katie to an extra cottage." He told the boy and he nodded. "Carter, Katie, this is Baxter. He is my personal assistant and if you ever need anything just ask him." He finished and Baxter walked over to Valerie, she sniffed him over and still had us walk beside her. I did however notice that she was not very comfortable with him next to her.

After Baxter settled Valerie in her stall, he reached out a hand to pet her and she pinned back her ears. "You guys can call me Bax, I normally have people call me that rather than my full name." He said as he moved away from Valerie. She stretched her wings out and let out a yawn. She still stood watching us, probably thinking that she should be a part of this conversation.

"Ok, Bax it is then. What do you call this village?" Carter asked him.

"The village is called Farlidon. And I think all of us are glad you are here." He answered as we walked out of the barn.

"Yeah we heard about the whole defeating the witch thing." Carter told him as we walked on. Bax nodded and told us that we had an advantage with Valerie's new found wings.

"If we get her in the air you can move quickly after Harlina. We could do it first thing tomorrow, they usually learn it pretty fast from what I have heard." Bax told us when we finally reached our temporary cottage. The only tent in the village was the General's. From what I could see along the way he had a house too that he slept in.

Hey, just because we are trapped in a fantasy world I don't have to not be smart.

Our cottage was pretty big and it had a medium sized bathroom, kitchen, and a bed room with bunk beds. I claimed the top and Carter plopped down on the bottom.

Bax left us alone for after he gave us the tour and I took a little nap. Carter said he would take a look around so I settled in, dozing off quickly.