CHAPTER ELEVEN • VALERIE

I tugged on the chains that held me down in the dark little shed. I tugged at my muzzle trying to get free and still failed. I let out a loud neigh trying to call for help but all that was left after the sound was a defining silence. I tryed to stretch out my wings big they were belted down. I was completely trapped.

The door of the shed opened and Baxter popped around the corner where I could now see him. I tryed getting to him but my chains and ropes held me down and he stayed out of reach.

"You can't get me you dumb animal. At least I didn't turn you and your friends in. Harlina would be grateful to curse you all. Oh wait, your already cursed!" He taunted me and I tryed reaching forward again to bite him but it was no use so I hung my head low and looked up at him. My legs felt like boulders so I let them give in. I was now kneeling a bit but the ropes held me up.

"Here have your water so I can leave." He said forceing the bucket on my nose. The water was cold and I drank it relieved to have some sort of refreshment. I still had my ears flattened at him on instinct. "Better get used to this form, because when Harlina wins the war, it will be this way forever." He said smiling. I KNEW IT! There was something out of place with him and now I found out what. He let out a laugh and smacked my nose as he turned to leave. I let out a squeal of pain and then lowered my head. What was the use, I was trapped on all sides.

Once he was gone I tryed getting free again and felt the chain around my wing slightly loosen. It hurt worse than his nose smack but I some how got one of my wings free, then the other. I pulled harder than ever and felt on of the chains break off the wall. Yes! It was working!

Chain by chain, rope by rope, they all broke off the wall, and while they were still attached to me I could at least walk out of the shed. I backed up, into the open woods. It felt so free and so great to stretch out my wings again! Speaking of wings, what if I tryed flying again, without the traitor's help. I spread my wing then off I went, soaring above the trees gracefully. It felt amazing, besides the dangling chains and ropes, also my muzzle was still wet from the water and the metal clamped my mouth shut. I finally reached the open feild where I had first flown and I landed there. I skidded to a stop and almost rolled head over, well, hooves.

I galloped to the center of town and let out a thunderous neigh. A few heads jerked towards me and I danced around, tripping over the dangling ropes and chains.

"The pegusus!"

"Why is it wrapped in chains?"

"Someone go help!"

"VALERIE!"

I recognized the last voice and I whirled around and saw Carter running towards me. He hugged me around my neck, I pulled away and he let go, smiling up at me. "Where have you been?! Why are you chained up!?" He asked and I snorted a reply, he knows I can answer him right?

Bax came running over with a look of surprise on his face. I called out a warning and pinned my ears. "How could she escape all those chains?!" He asked pointing to me. I backed away and he smiled. "She sure has some fire to her." He said.

"Help me get her free and go get–" My guess on what he was going to say was Katie. Because at that moment she came running over.

"Valerie!" She said as she stopped in front of me. I gave a little hello and the three of them got to work. I tryed stomping at Bax but he dodged my kicks.

The last chain finally came off and I shook all over, free of extra weight. I nipped at Bax and he backed away. "She sure doesn't like me much..." He said. WELL I WONDER WHY! Cause it is TOTALLY normal to chain someone up in a shed!

I trail of giggles could be heard rushing over to where I stood. Oh gosh, it was the girls from the other day. I flattened my ears and danced around. "Oh come on Valerie." Katie said and I sighed. It wouldn't hurt I guess.

I laid down on my knees and they came around on all sides. One of them had a bucket of flowers and a few rubber bands. Another held a brush. I gave a look of annoyance and they all got to work, brushing, braiding, decorating. It actually felt kind of nice and by the end I had my ears pricked forward.

I stood up when they were done but before I could one of them hopped on my back. She weighed very little and hugged me around my neck. I looked at Carter and a Katie and they were laughing. I flattened my ears and the girl on my back reached up and tugged at them playfully.

I flapped my wings and she gave a laugh, once they were folded up she got off with a smile. The girls all waved goodbye and Katie, Carter, and I walked back to the barn. Bax had gone missing from the town square and I was relived he was gone.

We reached the barn quickly and I wanted to stay out a bit longer but walked in, head low. "I know, I wish you could stay out. But if Harlina were to pay another vist..." Katie said and I nodded a little. "I am just glad your back." She said and touched my nose. I let her do so because she wasn't Bax. I wish I could tell them that he was betraying them. I went over to the center of my stall and laid down. Once they left, shortly after I dozed off, still alert just in case Bax decided to pop in.