CHAPTER FIFTEEN • KATIE

The wind hit my face as Valerie took off swooping down low so Harlina couldn't see us. We entered a thin layer of thick fog that covered us and for a second, I could barely see Carter infront of me. But in a split second we shot out of the fog and up towards the back of the island.

We landed behind a tall hill and Valerie walked up so we could see Harlina. She stood in the middle of a somewhat empty field, besides the few trees whose vines hung down, blowing in the wind.

"I am surprised you came. I thought I made my power clear." She said with her loud voice. She held her staff in one hand and her long dress was laid out behind her.

"Why wouldn't we come, you have terrorized Elicta long enough." A voice spoke up from the army, it wasn't that big of an island so we could hear and see everything from where we were.

"Oh please, terrorized?! Just because someone places curses on people for fun, doesn't mean they are evil." She said and even though her back was turned to us I could tell she was smiling her evil grin. Valerie flattened her ears and Carter placed his hand on her neck. "Oh and before you try defeating me, I think it is so unfair that it is about 35 against one. I would like to re-introduce someone..." She said and in a puff of smoke a boy appeared and even from the back of him we could tell who it was.

Bax.

"Baxter?" The General said from his spot up front. Valerie flattened her ears and let out a quiet squeal.

"Yes it's him, my son. He isn't as powerful as me yet, but he has been a great spy. How did you think I knew about you coming to my house?" She said and I stared in shock. Valerie had been right all along not to trust him.

"How could you?! I trusted you Baxter!" The General said and Harlina patted Bax on the back.

"Would you rather go against your mother, a powerful socceress, or stand with her?" Bax said stepping forward. The General shook his head and let out a fierce cry, raiseing the sword he had stowed away in his belt. The rest of the army echoed the call and started charging Harlina.

"NOW!" A voice cried out from the crowd and the horn blew. Valerie rose up flying down to Harlina. Katie had a hand outstretched aim to get her staff but Harlina whipped around.

"Not so fast." She said and froze the scene around us with her staff. We were the only ones left moving. She pounded her staff on the ground again and Valerie went down with a scream of pain.

"No!" I yelled out once we hit the ground. Valerie could barely lift her head off the ground. Carter kneeled by Valerie's weak head she looked up at him and then me, then shut her eyes. She was still breathing though, so I knew she was somewhat ok.

"Oh you will get over it, when you join her it will not make a difference." Harlina said and pulled us away from Valerie and into the air. I couldn't move but I looked at Carter and he was terrified. "Now let's see how many flying horses will I make in one week? Or maybe I should just kill you instead." She said and a cold chill ran down my frozen body. "Let's see, I think I will get rid of the boy first. That is why you don't tackle me you fool." She said and and I saw the word no form on Carter's lips. Her staff's gem glowed bright but just as she was going to set her spell into action, a brilliant gleam of white came from behind us knocking Harlina's staff out of her hand.

Valerie was back out of her weak state and took her chance to get back at Harlina. The evil witch was knocked to the ground and so was Valerie.

We fell from where we were floating and I rushed over to Valerie's side while Carter grabbed Harlina's staff. The light that was coming from the gem at the end had stopped and Carter looked down at it before snapping it over his knee.

"NOOOOO!" Harlina exclaimed from where she sat on the floor. A blinding light came out of her and a green ring of fire encircled her. She let out one final scream and then once the light cleared she was gone and all that was left was her broken staff.

The Magic LandsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara