CHAPTER THREE • KATIE

I picked up the goop smeared tray and beaker while Jackson came up behind me and cleaned up the purple mess that was on the floor. Valerie, miss popular, had already ran to wipe off her shirt.

I brought the equipment to Mr. Collman. "Thanks Katie." Mr. Collman said and as I turned to walk away, out of the corner of my glasses I saw him sigh and look at Valerie.

She was dressed in a bubble gum pink sweater that was a crop top. Even though it was against the dress code she still wore it, but none of the teachers seemed to notice. Once she was done scrubbing her shirt she returned to the seat beside me. And the only reason she was assigned that seat is because she talked her mouth off in her old one.

I looked up at the whiteboard and a list was set for us to follow. I started on my work and peeked over at Valerie after I was done with my first task. She sat there with her work in front of her and she had a look of confusion on her face. "Hey, Katie right? Mind if I see what answers you got?" She said and the first time I pretended not to hear her. I sifted through my folder looking for my science book. I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked back to face Valerie. "I said, could I please get the answers?" She asked, I could tell there was a bit of annoyance on the tip of her tounge.

"Well have you tried to do your work?" I said pointing to her paper.

"It is so confusing."

"Maybe you wouldn't be so confused if you payed attention in class."

"Maybe I wouldn't be confused if you–" She started but she looked up in surprise. I saw a quick sparkle of blue pass the window, but it was gone in an instant. "What is that?" She said looking out the window where the blue falsh had just been.

I tapped Austin on the shoulder and he flipped his head around from where he was gazing out the window. "Hey, did you see that blue flash?" I asked and he shook his head and turned back around, this time to his work.

"It was probably nothing." Valerie said and went back to her paper still struggling. But I paused a moment and looked at the window. Nothing...

It was probably nothing.

•••

I walked along the sidewalk in my mom's grey coat. She and I were about the same size so it fit. I pulled the door open of our apartment complex and stepped in, I was met with a quick change of cold to warm air. I decided to take the stairs because I didn't feel like braving the elevator alone. When I was 6 I walked into an empty elevator because I thought my parents were coming with me. The doors closed before I could get back out and, while I did get to the right floor at the same time as my parents, it has scarred me to this day.

Once I was halfway up the stairs a blue shimmer appeared out of thin air. It waved infront of me and then wizzed past letting out a whistle. I jerked around but it was already gone, so I just walked up the stairs checking behind me every few steps to see if my little friend had followed.