CHAPTER FOUR • CARTER

I walked into class, dragging my feet. I stayed up late trying to get ahead of a project but ended up falling asleep on my desk. Valerie fiddled with her phone taking pictures every so often, she made a variety of faces each at a different angle. I took my seat infront of her and slunk down into my chair. "Alright class! I have got the list of groups and will tell you who is with who! Is everyone ready for our field trip?" Ms. Camelia asked and a mumble of yes's went through out the room. "Good, alright first group!" She said cheerfully, didn't really pay attention to any of the other groups until I heard her say my name. "Carter, you will be with Valerie and Katie." She said and Valerie sighed loudly.

That's what I felt like on the inside but I would just have to let Valerie speak for me. Ms. Camelia sent us to our lockers and I quickly put my backpack away. Since we didn't need anything for the field trip, and cameras were optional, I didn't grap anything from my locker.

We were told once we came back into the room to line up, standing with our groups. I walked over to Valerie who was in a yellow pastel sweater. Katie lined up behind me and she held a small camera.

Suddenly a blue spakrle whistled past loudly but none of the class seemed to hear or see it. Or at least that's what I thought, but then I looked at Valerie and Katie and they were looking at it too.

"It's back!" Valerie said, but along with the chatter that was already in the room, it was overlooked. I had seen it yesterday too at my house and followed it to the back porch. But this time it was different, instead of disappearing it let the way to the busses whistling along. We finally boarded the bus and as soon as Valerie got on, the blue sparkle shimmered away.

We sat down at the back of the bus, and because we had only a few kids on board so Valerie got one of the seats to herself. Katie and I sat down in the other seat, I sat against the window and looked up at the cold November sky.

"Ok I know I am one of the smartest girls in school, but does anyone know what the blue, sparkly thing is?" Katie spoke up and Valerie shrugged.

"How am I supposed to know?" She asked and checked her gel nails.

"Hey, Carter do you?" Katie turned to me and I simply shrugged and sat uncomfortably. I don't normally like talking to people other than my family, Arnold, and Kayden. "You don't talk much do you?" She asked.

"I guess." I said quitely and looked back out the window. She took off her glasses and wiped them on her jeans. The bus took off and we began the quick ride to the museum, but for some reason it felt like a lot longer.

•••

We finally got to the museum and a large fountain sprung water up into the air a few feet away from the entrance.

We got off the bus and into the museum quickly and Katie was already taking pictures. "So were are we going first?" Katie excitedly said.

"I don't know, if there is anything actually interesting, let me know." Valerie commented back. Katie sighed and waved for us to follow. We stopped by the dinosaur exibit and then the space exibit. It was actually fun and I think Valerie was even enjoying herself.

But then our friend appeared and whistled around, louder than before. It flew over to a door that was cracked open and a staircase could be seen in the light of the main room. It stopped and waited, just hovering at the door. "I think we should follow it." Katie said. Valerie and I nodded. So, we walked over to the doorway where it floated and made our way down the steps slowly into the darkness. Only the blue light shone our path ahead.