Chapter twenty six

I find myself in history class, we're studying world war one. Even though I think the subject is interesting, I'm nervous because I know a month ago Jamie reported the principal and the teacher, and today is when the cops are coming to take them out of the school.

If I'm not wrong, they're also taking sociology's teacher to interrogation.

"We'll see men's incorporation to the war's economy. Do any of you know why the States decided to ask them to produce?"

I look at Oliver, he also knows what is happening today and I feel like he is as nervous as I am.

We've been spending a lot of time together lately, I have helped him with the play and I think he is not judging me for my past anymore. We became close friends.

I'm afraid he might get away from me when Chris comes back to class.

A student in the front raises his hand.

"To maintain almost 70 million women on combat, an economy focused in production of guns, bullets, war clothing was needed. That would end up racionalizing civilian's food. And women's departure made the situation more complicated, due to there was no people producing to sustain the war. That's why men were used."

"Very well, what did men start to do then?"

Oliver makes signs telling me we should stay near the principal's office after class.

I nod.

"They started to take the jobs that were initially intended for women. Men produced weapons, bullets; built bombs, warships; drove trucks, they were office workers and police officers. Also, they travelled to the war to help as nurses." Someone else says.

When the ring bells, I wait for Oliver and we walk to the principal's office.

He smiles and looks back as we kinda run towards it.

"What do you think it will happen?" He asks.

"I don't know, I hope she gets fired."

"Do you think we'll be in trouble if everything goes wrong?"

"Probably, but I don't care. If we get expelled, we'll go to another school where students don't suffer abuses."

That seems to make him confident and he nods several times, surely convincing himself that we acted correctly.

We get in front of the office. We look at each other, not very sure of what to do, and listen to someone getting closer. That's why we run.

We hide behind a plant, we can watch very clearly the principal's office from this perspective.

We wait. I hear Oliver's breathing on my ear. I realize how close he is. I repress the thoughts about how that makes me feel so I can focus on what's important. The person that's coming.

I get a message from Francis.

Crazyfran:

Eagle calling to yellow head. Are you in position?

Me:

I told you already not to call me yellow head. Correct. Someone is getting closer.

Francis:

Okay. Here I am with Jamie. Keep me informed.

I put my phone in my pocket and see them. There are two female officers and a guy dressed with a suit that I identify as femenine. He's carrying a briefcase, he's probably a social assistant.

World... Upside down?✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें