Chapter thirty one

The air fills my lungs after geting outside. I know they'll probably sanction me for escaping from school, but it doesn't seem important know.

With my spirit on the ground, I walk home. The sun and the colorful houses I go passing by comfort me.

I watch the people walking on the pavement in front of me and those who are smiling, sitting on the benches.

Would they judge me too? Have they been judged?

We all have been at least once. I think.

My chest still hurts, how am I going back to school?

My feet land on the ground of my house's front garden. I open the door. Nobody's home.

I guess dad's workin and Luke is in school.

I run to my room and bury myself on my bed. I need to rehab.

The sun near the dawn on my face wakes me up. I take my phone. 17:30 pm. I slept an hour and half.

I start listening to classical music and get over the terrace with a book on my hand.

I like to read at moments like this one because it helps me escaping from my reality. Your life becomes the character's life.

I read for a while until I hear the bell ringing.

Being on the roof, I look out to see who's at the entrance.

Oliver is standing, waiting with his hands folded, moving his foot up and down.

I go downstairs and open the door fast.

When his emerald eyes meet mine, I jump to hug him tightly. He instantly corresponds to me and the tears start going down again.

"Shh... it's okay, they don't deserve you" he says stroking my hair.

After a couple minutes, I invite him in. I give to him a a package of cookies and we serve ourselves some juice.

"And now what?" I ask.

He looks up to me. "What are you talking about?"

"Of school, I can't go back there. I'll change of school"

He frowns.

"You won't do that"

"Yes, I will"

"You'll let them win that way"

"That doesn't matter, they already won"

"Of course not."

I look away.

"Hey," he insists "this is not the Amelie I know, the one who can deal with neo-nazis" I laugh a bit "you're going tomorrow with your head held high and show everyone that whatever they say or do does not affect you. That's the only way to ridicule them."

"But they already know it affects me. They've seen me cry and run away"

"We all have our falls, but you stood up, they can't say the same. Besides, there's nothing wrong with crying, it's just an emotion like all the others."

I nod.

"Okay, but if I have a panic attack it'll be your fault."

He laughs and raises his head, looking to the roof.

"That won't happen, you're stronger than you think."

We chat about trivialities for a while and then the subject turns serious.

"Jamie has texted me" he says "he needs us to testify on his favor"

"When? How is he?"

"He's better now. He will contact us when the time comes"