23- game over

Kai's PoV

"Aito! Can you give me a lift to the stadium?" I asked as I walked into the kitchen, tying my short messy hair into a half up do.

"You got it." He nodded, shutting the fridge door a turning to face me, "I've got nothing planned today so I think I'll join you if that's cool?"

"That's great!" I nodded and took a seat at a stool by the counter in the kitchen.

"Eat up then." He said, throwing me an Anpan. I nodded with a smile and opened the bag.

"Are they playing one of the miracle pricks today?" He asked as he leant over the counter, facing me.

"Mhm... Tōō academy." I nodded, "Aomine's school."

"That's not the childhood friend one, right?"

"Nope. Speedy Gonzales with the dark blue hair."

"Oh, that dude. You two were pretty close too as well, weren't you? Like best pals."

"What are you? Some kind of memory patroller?"

He shrugged with a smirk, "maybe."

"Hm..."

"Say, so you're buddy buddy with two of them now?"

"I mean, Kise came to apologise, Shintarou kinda did I guess... I mean we're on good terms at least."

"So... three left to make up with?"

"Don't get me wrong... the others I'm worried about meeting face to face. They're not necessarily as like... how to say it? Calm? Considerate? Well no... they're not inconsiderate, it's just more likely to go less smoothly with those guys, and I doubt they'd want to go out of their ways to meet me just to apologise."

"I guess I understand where you're coming from. But... you don't not want to see them, do you?" He asked, almost reading my mind.

I was silent for a moment before dropping my head and letting out a small airy laugh, "you're right... I just- I'd rather meet them like it was the old days. Like things didn't change, you know?"

"I see... guess you just gotta go with the flow. Anyway, enough chit chat, we should head off for the game." He said.

"This is the court they'll be playing on." I said as we took a seat in the stand.

"Right, these should be good seats." Aito sat down and I sat beside him.

"Mhm." I agreed, "I want to go meet Seirin quickly if you don't mind. I shouldn't be too long so save the seat."

"You got it, stay safe."

I quickly jogged up the stairs and out of the seating area. I made my way through the building until I spotted the hall of changing rooms. I ran down the corridor and checked I had the right room before knocking three times and slowly opening it.

"Who is it?" Riko asked.

"It's me." I smiled as I closed the door behind me, the boys all sat putting their shoes on.

"Kai." Tetsuya smiled at me.

"Sorry for the intrusion. I just wanted to come and see you guys for the game. I'll let Riko do her thing and I'll be moral support." I smiled as I stood beside their coach.

"It's almost time!" She began, "only three out of the four schools will be going to the inter high. Just as Koganei said, it doesn't seem difficult at first glance-"