1

Mumbo could feel the cool breeze brush against the back of his neck, sending chills throughout his entire body. He raised his gaze from the street to the shining stars above him as he rounded the street corner. He opened his communicator to take a picture of the beautiful sky when the screen changed to an incoming call from his best friend, Grian.

"Hey, what's up G?" He asked happily as he walked toward an opening between buildings.

"I was just wondering when you were getting back to Hermitcraft." Mumbo looked down at the bag of various Redstone components he had bought in his hand and smiled.

"Just bought everything we need, I'll be back in about an hour so we can start working on it by tomorrow." He walked absentmindedly past the alleyway, and just as he heard Grian start to speak again, Mumbo felt a hand grab him. It wrapped around his neck and dragged him into the alley, causing Mumbo to drop the phone. He tried to scream, but as he opened his mouth, a hand covered it. His attacker shoved him against the wall of one of the buildings and bent down, hovering above his neck. Mumbo stopped screaming when he realized something. His attacker was talking to him.

"I'm really sorry... I won't take a lot." He said as Mumbo felt something like fire being injected into his neck. He screamed again as his attacker bit into his neck and the world rapidly began to dull. All of his senses dulled as his vision clouded. He felt his legs give out from under him, but the attacker kept him pressed against the wall and began to speak again. "Oh god, I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Here!" Mumbo watched through blurry vision his attacker used his teeth to slash open his own arm. He shoved his rapidly bleeding arm toward Mumbo, who tried his best to avoid it. Finally, his mouth began to fill with the awful taste of iron and slip down his throat. Suddenly, the person pressing him against the wall let go, allowing Mumbo's body to fall to the ground. He saw them run out of the alley, and as the world continued to fade, he could hear something. Grian's voice yelling through the communicator.

"Mumbo?! Mumbo!"

He snapped back to reality as he heard Grian's voice. Grian looked over him with concern as Iskall stood angrily behind him. "Mumbo? You spaced out again." He said quietly and Mumbo looked up at him from his hands, covered in red dust.

"I... sorry." He said ashamedly and Grian rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, it's ok." He replied, and Mumbo glanced to Iskall behind him, still glaring with anger. Grian followed his gaze and sighed. "Don't worry about him, he's just a little mad because you spaced out mid-redstone and kinda... broke the machine." Mumbo looked down again at his hands and felt a wave of something come over him. His entire body felt heavy and his mouth went dry. He was hungry. "But he'll get over it." Grian added, and Iskall threw his hands in the air as he walked away. Mumbo stayed silent for a second, desperately holding back the urge to bite into Grian's neck and suck every drop of blood out of him.

"Hey, what's going on?" Grian asked, bending down in an attempt to regain Mumbo's gaze. "You know, it's been 6 months since your... attack and you've never talked about what happened. It might be helpful to talk about it." He tried, and Mumbo shook his head.

"I need to go home." He turned to leave and Grian sighed.

"Look, I'm here for you Mumbo. Always." He added before Mumbo took off into the air toward his base. He landed messily, almost completely falling as his feet hit the ground. Immediately he opened the chest hidden in the corner of his base and stared into the mostly empty space. He picked up the last dead rabbit he had and grimaced as he sunk his teeth into the almost rotting flesh. In a matter of seconds, the dead rabbit was sucked dry and Mumbo threw it across the room. It tasted awful and he knew the state of the rabbit meant it wouldn't stave off his hunger for very long. He took a deep breath, remembering the taste of human blood and the strength it gave him but told himself he wouldn't feed on one of his fellow hermits. He sighed, still very weak, and laid in his bed, staring up at the ceiling. He could feel his body slowly shutting down, but closed his eyes and attempted to feel normal again. Instead, he dreamt of nothing and was met with darkness all night.

First chapter woo! So the thing with this book is that it's the first I've ever pre-written, which means I can have an actual update schedule. I'm thinking every Saturday and Wednesday but we'll see. I hope you enjoy this book, I had a blast writing it. Thank you for reading, I hope you have a good day/night, and you are loved.