2

The morning sun rose into the sky, filling Mumbo's eyes with blinding bright light. He winced as he awoke, feeling his strength slip away again. But still, he dragged himself slowly out of bed letting the sunlight hit his skin and sighing at the realization that he still couldn't feel it.

Contrary to popular vampire culture, he could stand in the sunlight. He showed up in mirrors, didn't really mind garlic, and slept in a bed at night. Vampirism for Mumbo was almost normal life, except for the inherent inability to feel things like sunlight and rain. Plus the constant bloodlust. He hated it. He tried to stand from his bed but felt his legs fall from under him, causing him to crash to the ground. He closed his eyes in defeat as he stayed on the floor, unable to move any further.

Grian hadn't seen Mumbo all day and was starting to get worried. Iskall had asked for him to stay the day before to talk, and Grian was thinking back on their conversation.

"He didn't mean to mess it up." Grian started, and Iskall sighed.

"Look Grian, it's been 6 months, you can't baby him forever." He replied, and Grian nodded.

"I know. I'm not trying to baby him but... he went through a lot. It's going to take some time for him to be himself again. I'll talk to him."

"Please. I hate to be hard on him but... he made a commitment to this project. We need him at his best, and if he can't give that to us now, then he needs to tell us instead of pretending he is ok." Iskall decided as he walked away from Grian. He took a deep breath as he continued to walk toward Mumbo's base, the sun starting to set behind him. As he arrived, he noticed something. He saw Mumbo's bed, but no Mumbo. Then he saw the rotting rabbit on the other side of the bed. As he walked around to examine it, he noticed Mumbo sitting against his bed, eyes closed and almost all color drained from his body. He kneeled down and carefully shook his friend.

"Mumbo?" His eyes opened slightly and took in the sight of Grian. "What happened? What's wrong?" He asked in quick succession and Mumbo took a long breath.

"Hungry." He replied quietly, and Grian grabbed the golden carrots he had with him.

"Here!" He thrust them toward him, and Mumbo weakly shook his head.

"I need...blood." His eyes began to close again and Grian grabbed his hand.

"What? What do you mean?" Grian asked concerned, and Mumbo opened his mouth, bringing the fangs he usually kept hidden down. "I don't-" He started but Mumbo interrupted him.

"I'll explain everything after, just, please... I won't take too much." He said deliriously, recognizing his attacker's words coming from his own mouth. Grian hesitantly nodded after a moment of confused consideration.

"What do you need me to do?" He asked nervously, and Mumbo waved him closer to him. Grian leaned in, and Mumbo guided his neck to his mouth, sinking his fangs carefully into Grian's neck. He winced in pain and Mumbo stopped for a second. "I'm fine, just do what you need to do." Mumbo then began to drink. The wonderful taste of iron filled his mouth and coursed through his dormant veins. He could feel his strength coming back to him just as he felt something else. He was being hit. Mumbo instantly retracted his fangs and backed off from Grian, who was now breathing deeply.

"Are you... are you ok? Did I take too much?" Mumbo asked nervously, and Grian shook his head.

"Hold on, the room needs to stop spinning." He said as his gaze floated up to the ceiling. Finally, after a second of labored breathing, Grian looked back down at Mumbo and held his neck in pain.

"Explain. Now."

Thanks for reading this chapter! I hope you enjoyed, have a good day/night, and you are loved.