3

Grian and Mumbo had moved to the bed, where they sat next to each other in unsure silence. Grian had placed a bandaid on his neck and waited patiently for Mumbo to start his story. Mumbo, during all of this, contemplated how exactly to explain it. Finally, after a painfully long silence, Mumbo spoke.

"6 months ago, I was attacked." He stated, and Grian huffed.

"Yeah, I know that. But that still doesn't explain-"

"I didn't survive the attack. That man... he... killed me." Mumbo took a deep breath, and Grian looked at him in confusion. "My attacker, he made me like him. A... vampire I guess. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. Apparently he drank too much, and in an effort not to kill me, he fed me his blood. And now I'm... this." He finished, and Grian nodded along slowly.

"A few hours ago, I wouldn't have believed you but now..." He trailed off, and Mumbo looked up from his fidgeting hands.

"Wait, you believe me?" He asked, surprised.

"Dude, I just watched you get healthier from sucking my blood, kind of hard not to believe you." He joked, and another silence filled the room. "Have you ever... you know... killed someone?" Grian asked hesitantly, and Mumbo exhaled unsteadily.

"When I was first... turned, I was super hungry. Like, hungrier than I have ever been. It felt like I was going to die any second unless I got some blood. And so... when I woke up in the hospital surrounded by people bleeding, it was... too much to handle. I ran out of there as fast as I could, not wanting to be seen. I ended up on some street, and there was an old man. He was... just out walking and I..." Mumbo trailed off, his eyes vacant as he remembered every gruesome detail. Suddenly, he felt a hand rest softly onto his, bringing him back to the present. He looked into Grian's tired eyes, drooping as the night went on.

"You did what you had to do to survive," Grian assured him, and Mumbo nodded slowly.

"I know, I just wish I could go one night without seeing his eyes looking up at me with such fear. Like I was a monster. Maybe he's right. Maybe I am a monster. I just wish I knew what I did to deserve this. I just want to be normal again." There was an odd amount of silence in the room as he felt Grian's hand slip from his. He looked up to see Grian leaning against the headboard eyes closed and slightly snoring. Mumbo gave him the rest of the bed to lie down in, and walked into the night air. He looked up at the sky to see the same stars he had seen the night he was killed. He closed his eyes, hoping to feel the night breeze dance across his skin just one more time, but was left with emptiness. Though he had his strength back, Mumbo had never felt so vulnerable and weak.

Bit of a shorter chapter, sorry, but there is more to come! There are 8 chapters in total and most of them are longer. Anyway, thanks for reading, I hope you have a good day/night, and you are loved.