Chapter 5

Kart

Kart walked into the barracks wearing his Phase 2-clone armor, with the exception of his helmet which was in the crook of his arm, and yelled, “Attention!”

          The clones all looked at him in surprise, “Ah uh I thought we were supposed to get rid of our old armor,” said Knock-Knock.

          Kart ignored him, “I turned in my discharge papers, I’m leaving”.

          The clones all looked at him with mixtures of surprise and confusion, “But Commander, why?” asked Tou.

          Kart took a deep breath before answering fear and conviction running both through him because I don’t believe in the empire he thought. He looked at his brothers, “Because I am tired of fighting. Our war, the clones wars, are over”.

            “But sir, what else is there?” asked a clone.

            “I don’t know, but I intend to find out,” said Kart.

          “We only know fighting, it’s what were trained for, bred for. You can’t expect us to abandon that,” said a clone.

          Kart sighed, “No I don’t expect you to join me. But if any of you want to join me I would welcome you at my side”.

          No one spoke, and silence fell over the barracks.

           “This talk is treasonous,” said a voice.

            Kart looked over and saw Maw standing in his purge trooper armor. “I’m not speaking against the empire, just asking for companions”.

             “If the empire valued us they wouldn’t have stopped cloning,” said Tou who stood up, “I’m with you, Commander”.

              Knock-Knock and Brake, his near-constant companion, stood, “As long we get in some fights!” said Knock-Knock.

           Another clone, Grade, stood, “I’m with you, Commander”.

           Another clone, Burner, stood, “Where you want fly Commander?”

             Another, Jott, stood, “Yeah where are we going, Commander?”

           Another, Crisp, stood, “Just don’t make me do the cooking alright”.

            Kart grinned, “Fine by us”.

            Another, Zye, stood, “I’ll follow you anywhere Commander”.

            Another, Kut, stood, “Anywhere would beat this place”.

            “Ah what the heck,” said another as they stood, Chip.

            “Might be fun,” said another clone, Chase, as he stood.

              Kart looked at the rest of the clones, all of whom stayed seated. “It was an honor to fight with all of you,” said Kart and he saluted those who sat before turning to walk out, ten of his brothers following him, their clone armor slung over their shoulders.

               They all got onto a republic shuttle and Burner sat in the pilot’s seat, “So where we headed Commander?”

            “Kamino system,” said Kart.

             Burner smiled, “Well let’s go home I suppose”.