Chapter 14

Mal’dar

    Mal’dar walked up to the imperial clerk’s desk. The clerk was named Salar’s, he had very selective loyalties and access to the imperial network. Both things that Mal’dar could use. Mal’dar strode up to Salar’s desk.

    “’Ey! Mal, how you been?” asked Salar.

    Mal’dar pulled out a bulging coin purse and threw it on Salar’s desk. The credits clinked and Mal’dar looked at Salar, “That’s enough to pay off your house”.

    Salar stared at the coin purse dumbfounded before smiling widely, “Well what can I help you with?”

    “Geonosis, what are you guys up to?” asked Mal’dar.

    “Well let’s see,” said Salar who immediately began typing on his computer.

    His eyes widened, “I don’t know why but we are sending a lot of supplies out there, mostly slaves and construction materials”, he looked at Mal’dar, “Why you wanna know”.

    Mal’dar reached for the credits.

    Salar nearly fell out of his chair in panic, “I don’t need to know!”

    Mal’dar smirked people with questionable loyalties could be useful, and he moved his hand away from the credits. He pulled out his datapad and set it beside the credits “I want you to upload all orders concerning Geonosis on there”.

    Salar nodded and got to work.

    Mal’dar and Ras looked at the orders their disbelief growing by the second. What could the empire be building that needed this many supplies, and why were supplies from Ilum coming in, what was there?

    “The amount of supplies they ordered would match up with what that scan picked up,” said Kayslee.

    “Whatever the empire is building cannot be good,” said Harvos.

    “It must be Kyber crystals that’s the only thing that the empire could want from Ilum,” said Ras as she read about the planet.

    “Why would want those?” asked Mal’dar.

    “They are the best energy amplifier in the galaxy,” she began to speak quicker, “But that still doesn’t explain what they're using them for, the amount of electronics they ordered are enough for that”.

    Kayslee nodded, “Yeah Kyber crystals would be great you could a lot with just one!”

    “The moon,” said Harvos.

    They looked at him, “What?” asked Mal’dar.

    “They destroyed the moon, that’s why they want the crystals,” said Harvos.

    Mal’dar shook his head, “They have star destroyers they don’t need to blow up moons, besides not even a kyber crystal could do that”.

    Slim nodded, “Yyyes it cccouould, wiawith ththe energy mamamaultiplplacation it wowowould”.

    “Why blow up a moon?” asked Mal’dar.

    “Because they can,” said Harvos, “That is why they do anything”.