a small favour.

simon.

It was a Monday morning, only a few days since everything had happened but he couldn't stop thinking about it. Harry's birthday was tomorrow and he had no idea what to get him. It couldn't be something easy, it had to be a better gift because they weren't "just friends" anymore. It needed to show how much he cared but he barely had any money to spend, just the few pound notes he would nick off his father's trousers.

He had already written him a short letter, which had absolutely pained him to do. He wrote and rewrote it around ten times, trying to make everything perfect. Simon had no idea what would happen if he messed it up and he couldn't afford that risk. Harry was someone with an extremely different taste which made gift buying way more difficult than it should be.

On his way to school, he tried to think what he could do, baking was always the safe idea but Simon couldn't bake for the life of him. Sure, making mac and cheese was easy but cupcakes? Brownies? Cinnamon rolls? It was definitely too complex for his mediocre abilities.

Simon was lost in his thoughts to realise that someone was standing right in front of him until the person began snapping their fingers in front of his face. His eyes widened when he crashed into him, which surprisingly had turned out to be Ethan Payne. The short boy had a look in his face so menacing that Simon tried to turn away from him.

Ethan just grabbed him by the backpack so Simon gave up and turned around to face him. "What the fuck could you possibly want now?"

"Simon, come on, that's no way to treat an old friend!" Ethan said in a joking tone, establishing that he wasn't there to hurt him.

Simon just scoffed, not believing his attitude for a second. "Don't flatter yourself, you're not one."

The look on Ethan's face soured instantly but he didn't walk away or attempt to beat the living hell out of him, so it was fine. "Okay, I know they were awful, and I know I was an accomplice in everything. I just want to say I'm sorry."

Simon didn't want to believe him, he feared what would happen if he decided to trust him. He thought what would Harry do in his situation and nodded. Harry would've forgiven him in an instant if the apology felt genuine. "Fine, what do you want?"

"...It's just a small favour, can we talk somewhere more private though? I don't want anyone to overhear."

Simon nodded and followed him into an empty classroom. The hallways were vacant now, the bell had rand and everyone had gone to class. It made Simon's nerves be on point because now there would be no witnesses if Ethan randomly decided to murder him.

Ethan made himself comfortable and sat on a desk, before telling him his completely sane idea. "We're going to get payback."

Simon did not expect that at all. He wondered what the hell could've happened for Ethan to have the urge to do that "Excuse me, but we are going to do what?"

"Look, a few things may have happened and I'm now convinced they're the scum of the earth. You must hate them too so you have to help me."

Simon sighed. What could be going on in Ethan's brain? He was going to be roped into a stupid scheme which will probably make him end up half-dead in front of a Tesco's at four in the morning. "You know I haven't forgiven you yet, right?"

"Punch me in the face."

"What?"

"I said, punch me in the face." Simon gave him a look of bewilderment and Ethan sighed before explaining everything to him. "I was a twat okay, I admit it. Punch me in return, I won't fight back or anything."

Oh, it was his twisted way of setting things straight. Simon had never hated him, he had always thought of him as rather dumb instead. He would follow the other three like a blind sheep (or in Harry's words, shep) but had never been intentionally malicious to him.

Sure, he laughed when the other two were drowning him in the toilet but it Simon knew it wasn't genuine then. He was also the one who's demeanour hadn't changed after everything. Maybe he would give it a try.

"So I just punch you in the face?

Ethan nodded, waiting to take the blow. "Wait! If you do it, then you have to help me, it's non-negotiable!"

Simon had already decided that he was going to help him so he nodded. He didn't dare to tell him that he didn't know how to throw a punch but it didn't matter, it was better for Ethan anyway. He took a deep breath and punched him square in the nose before yelping in pain. "Holy fuck!"

"Pussy," Ethan said, wiping off the little bit of blood trickling down his nose. "I knew you couldn't punch but that was weak."

Simon just shook his head, he knew it had hurt Ethan, the guy just had an incredibly high level of pain tolerance. It hadn't even been bad, he was just inexperienced. His hand still ached from it, it wasn't very nice, he probably wasn't going to punch anyone ever again.

Ethan had fallen quiet again after he finished cleaning his face and Simon still had far too many questions left for him. He began with the simplest. "So?"

"So, what?"

"Well, after weeks of not talking, you just kidnap me, make me miss class and then punch you in the face. It's been a confusing ten minutes and you still haven't explained what the hell you want me to do. Care to do it now?"

"Well, we both have some, uh, issues with them, and we have to give them a little bit of payback," Ethan began and Simon just nodded, waiting for him to elaborate. "The plan is..."

author's note: so, i may have stopped writing this story. it's okay though it was about to finish anyway. there are a few chapters left though but i'll upload them once they're ready. i hope this fic ends well and thank you for reading!!