Prologue

"They told the story of the young lovers, ever so beautiful, woven in a web of happiness, that could make one smile, even in the hardest of times.."

It was a rainy day and the children in St. Mary's Orphanage had become dull and sad. Every month, two students came from St. John's High School to give the funds for the orphanage and spend quality time with the children. That day, they were supported to go out and play in the new park but it was raining very heavily, so they were stuck at the orphanage.

"Well, that's it ! I can't believe we lost a lovely day !" exclaimed Bethany, one of the older children, with her heavy English accent. With her blonde hair tied in a braid and her strict expression, she sure looked like a girl who wouldn't tolerate nonsense at all. When she said that she was upset, her face showed that she was speaking the truth.

"I agree. We could have played in the park for hours !" said Sam, a little boy who was looking at the rain-stained windows angrily. His fists were clenched as he sat down angrily.

A little girl, Clara said, reaching out to tame Sam's anger, "Well, think it this way, after the rain stops, we can wear our gumboots and jump in the puddles. It will be so much fun !!"

The two high schoolers looked smiled at the positivity of the little girl.

"But Clara, it doesn't seem like the rain is going to stop anytime soon.." said Jack, one of the older children. His black hair was set back and his eyes held a hint of disappointment.

"I think Clara is right, you guys. We musn't lose hope, now. Just a few more hours, and we can go out to play. We have the whole day to us." said the highschooler boy.

"Yep. Until then, why don't we two tell you guys a story ?" said the highschooler girl.

The highschoolers were Ethan Marrion Hayes and Layla Jillian Davey. They both were best friends since they were kids. Well, that was obvious because their parents were best friends. Ethan had greenish blue eyes and brownish black hair. Layla had sea blue eyes and blonde hair. They both were 18 and visited the Orphanage every month since they were 15. They both had an amazing bond with the children and loved them a lot.

"Yay ! Story !" exclaimed Clara in joy as she sat down beside Sam.

"Well, I guess a story could be alright.." said Jack as he took a seat next to Bethany.

"What's the story about, Layla ?" asked Matthew, a boy with glasses. His face was brimming with excitement as he was eager to know all about the story.

"Well, let's just say the story is about two strangers.." said Layla as she gave Ethan a knowing smile.

Ethan laughed softly, "Oh yes..and letters.."

"Letters ?" asked Molly, as she sat down on one of the couches with her teddy bear in her hand.

Ethan smiled, "Yeah. Lots and lots of letters."

"Oh, and a little bit of faith, hope, friendship and love.." added Layla.

The two highschoolers looked at each other. Finally it was the time to the tell the story they both knew by heart.

The story that taught them a lot of things when they were small. They both knew that both of them could never forget that story.

The story taught them the importance of courage, kindness, care, trust, friendship, faith, hope, love and most importantly..letters.

They both were young and dumb and had no idea how words could be so much stronger than actions sometimes. They knew how letters were so important and why people back in the old days wrote so many letters. Well, it connected people from their hearts more than it did with the texts. But the story isn't prehistoric, just a few years old.

Everything was still the same. The same boring classes, the same 'stick to the status quo' motto, the same fake and girly popular girls dominating the school, the same nerds going to book clubs and acing every test with flying colours, the same jocks branded as players and jerks, and finally, the same cliche story of two people, worlds apart, falling in love. There are things which never change, and that was one of those things.

As Ethan and Layla took a deep breath and sat back to tell the story, it was as if they were automatically transported to the High School of St. John's.

They looked at the kids' keen faces and started the story of Shawn Hayes, Evelyn Marrion and unsual way of falling in love : letters....