Chapter 45

"Why are you so heavy?" I mutter under my breath as I heave Loki out of the pool, dripping and somehow still unconscious. I swear he weighs three times a human. I drop him on the pool deck, making sure his head doesn't hit the tile too roughly. I pull myself out of the water now, sweaty, dripping with water, and high off more adrenaline than I've ever been before. And that says something with how old I am.

I shove Loki further away from the pool with my foot and run into my apartment to grab a few things.

I don't know if I'll ever be coming back.

I run into my room and grab a long dress, putting it on over a swimsuit. I grab my vial out of the back corner of the top drawer of my dresser, and I grab Nat's gun from my nightstand. Just to be safe, I also grab a bag from my closet and drop Nat's gun in it, as well as a stray waterbottle from the kitchen. Got some shoes, which will be helpful.

I stop to frantically grab some fruit and dump it into the bag too when the alarm starts up.

"Security breach. Class 5 criminal missing from medbay." The automated voice says as the alarm sounds and all doors lock.

Stercore. This is already going horribly. Alright, what to do now. I've probably got 5 minutes tops before people get here. The pool door and my entry door are the only ones locked, because the goal is to keep everyone in their rooms. I know the protocol, what do they do next.

...

...

Oh! They're going to do a room-by-room search until they find me, starting with wherever they think I am and spreading out. The first is probably medbay, and then next is here. So I gotta get out fast. I run back to my room and dig through the box in the back corner of my closet. I finally find the small box and stuff it into the bag as I run back to the living room. I pull out the gun and aim at the glass, closing my eyes and bracing myself for the shattering.

My finger tightens on the trigger and I'm ready to fire when a pounding on my door makes me jump.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Serendipity, open up!" Someone calls, and I know they aren't going to wait for me to open the door.

I turn back to the pool wall and quickly shoot it three times, cracking the glass. I kick it and it shatters, making a small opening. I grab Loki's hand, pulling him closer to the water. I can hear the wood of my door splintering as they beat it open. I pull him to the edge and pull him off with me, keeping an air bubble around us to keep Loki and the bag safe. I stick my hand into the water and try to calmly feel with it, but it's kind of hard when I can hear my door breaking down.

Ok, ok, Helicarrier water, yep. Manhattan water, all good there. New York state water, c'mon, keep going. Massachusetts water! There we go! In the background, I hear my door hit the floor and the sound of at least a dozen boots pounding my floors, but it's almost as if I'm not even there anymore... it doesn't feel like reality.

Wait! Oh, I'm in Massachusetts, that would be why I don't feel like I'm there anymore!

Alright, what is the plan?

...

Okay, where do I know I can't go. The Helicarrier. New York, the city, and the state. Definitely not any of the states. They've got cameras everywhere. I could try Europe, but they've probably got assets there.

Alrighty, water it is. I get behind Loki and stick my arms under his underarms and grasp his neck almost as if I wanted him in a headlock. In a way, I do. Now I need to get my tail, ideally without getting Loki or the bag wet, and without ripping my bikini bottoms. I tighten my grip on Loki with one hand, releasing the other to wrestle with clothes so they don't rip. I use my free hand to get started on getting things off, and then I focus my hands on holding Loki while I shimmy out of everything else.

Got it, thank goodness. I stuff my dress, swim bottoms and shoes into the bag, and let go of Loki and the bag while keeping the bubble around them. I pull myself back into the ocean because that will make the change a lot easier.

I breathe deeply, letting the water seep into me, and I just let go. I let go of my legs, and I let go of the impending doom, and I just let myself exist naturally. And naturally, for me, means with only three limbs. A shudder of almost relief passes through me as my tail begins to knit together. I can feel all of my scales rising up, and my bones molding themselves again, and it feels almost euphoric.

Oh, I haven't actually been in the water in weeks. No wonder I feel high.

I try to shake off the relaxation I feel right now. Being relaxed is nice, but I need to adrenaline rush right now. Stretching my tail, I shake it out and experimentally kick myself forwards. Let's go.

--

This was a horrible idea. I am sore, and tired, and we're only halfway down the coast. I've been swimming for what feels like forever. And, somehow, Loki is still asleep! Did they sedate him? I guess that's a possibility, they knew he was gonna get shipped back, so might as well make sure it goes smoothly. Sorry guys, smooth isn't my thing apparently. My tail has a cramp, and I keep losing my grip on the air bubble.

It is probably time for rest now. Turning off the current I jumped into, I head for the cliffs on the coast, looking for a suitable cave.

It takes some searching, and almost getting stuck a few times, but I finally find one big enough for Loki to be in and breathe, where there's enough dry spots that the bag will fit, and I can be underwater! It's perfect, and thank goodness because if it wasn't, we'd be sleeping on the ocean floor. I need to crash, as Tony says.

I haul Loki into the cave, dragging his body through the narrow entrance. I toss the bag onto the small shore, and lay Loki on as much of the dry part as I can.

I spin around, trying to decide where to sleep. Maybe next to Loki, so if he wakes up he might wake me up?

And have him stab me? Next.

Maybe in the deepest water in the cave?

Then I won't know when he wakes up, maybe he'll just leave.

Ooh, I can stick my tail through the entrance, which will plug it up enough that Loki can't get through without waking me up or killing me. Killing me would be tricky, he doesn't have anything to stab me with now, we don't even have a gu-

Whoops. I should probably stash that somewhere else. Don't want to make it that easy for him to kill me. Crawling back up the small shore with my tail dragging behind me, I grab the bag and head out of the cave, looking for a nook to keep it in.

Here's a cute little one, and there's even a little rock inside that will keep it out of the water. I dive to the ocean floor and grab a shell to mark it as I always do, and then head back to the cave.

I pull myself in, and double check on Loki before getting settled. I stuff the entrance with my tail, and recline on the underwater sand. The aches and pain almost ooze out of my back the moment I lay down.

Sweet, sweet sleep.