Epilogue

I watch my body. I see Loki cry over me, how he oh so gently pulled the hair out of my face. I try to get to him, but something's stopping me. I only pull harder to get to him. I have to get to him. I can't die, I'm not done yet! I still have Loki, I still have hundreds more years, this can't be happening.

"Come, child," A motherly voice from behind me says. I turn around, tears streaming down my cheek, to see a ball of light. It's the ocean, I can feel her. We start to leave, and I turn back, trying harder than ever to get to him.

"No, no I can't go yet, I'm not done! I'm- I'm not done." I say between sobs, my shoulders shaking.

"It's time, darling," She says, and we're whisked away from Loki and my body.

I collapse onto my knees, sobbing so hard I can barely breathe, but we keep going. I don't know where we're going, and I don't care, because it isn't Loki. Loki is the only place I want to go. I can't leave him here, leave him to feel the hole in his soul that I feel, the hole that can only be fixed by him. By his smile and his sarcasm, and every stupid knife he leaves everywhere.

I know, deep down, that hole won't be filled again. Not by him, not by anyone.

I wipe the tears off my face with my arm and stand to face the ocean. I can't see her, or her expressions, but I feel her more clearly than I ever have before.

"It's time."

"Time for what?" I murmur, trying to keep myself together.

"I've been watching you for a very long time, Malora."

"I'm not Malora anymore. I'm Serendipity." I tell her, my voice quaking, but she doesn't pause to acknowledge it.

"I'm dying. I need someone to watch over my waters. I need someone to guide my children, to clean my waters, to be me. And none of the others can do that, so it's you," The ocean tells me.

"I don't want to guide my sisters or watch your waters. I want to go back to Loki," I tell her as I continue crying. My knees collapse, and I land hard, but I don't feel it. I feel her comforting me, but the tears don't stop.

"I know, child. But it's time for you to step into your new role. It's time for you to become something more..."

It was the last thing she ever said to me. I looked down, and saw myself wearing the most beautiful salt dress I've ever seen. The top, which replaced my gorgeous blue scales with those splotches of Loki's green, was black, and as it flowed down it faded into a translucent purple, flowing behind me and into the water. The salt was woven together in a way that the whole thing shimmered brighter than all the stars I've ever seen.

I went back to see Loki. He cried for weeks, and I watched. I watched him come down to the ocean shore in one place or another for years. He didn't leave earth until he was forcefully taken back to Asgard by his brother. Every single day, he would sit at the shore, and I would sit next to him. I would rest my head on his shoulder, pretending he knew I was there. I listened to all of the things he whispered to me throughout his day, and I cried more than he did.

I'm stuck here now. I'm eternally trapped in the ocean, glued to it, forced into caring for my sisters and for my ocean. Without the ocean to guide me, without being able to feel her love, it's been hard. Loki left Earth, and... slowly... they all forgot about me. Tony, and Bruce, and all of the agents I ever talked to. My room was turned back into a swimming pool, my things put into Loki's room, which no one dared to touch. Slowly I turned into nothing but a myth, a story so beyond a normal human life that eventually I was lost to them.

Some days I go back, and I wander through the halls like I used to. I sit by Nat while she eats lunch, and I stand by Fury during his meetings. I watched them too, cry and mourn me. Nat found the gun with the tracker on it in the ocean, and she brought it back. She leaves it in the shoebox of her past, hidden in her closet. Loki cleaned my room out, and he collected every scale he could find. He gave all but a few to Fury.

He kept the green ones.

Now I guard the ocean, because in all the time I spent mourning the life I lost, the waters only grew more disgusting, and only more plastic invaded my land. I do what I did before, but I try to be a better sister than the ocean was a mother. I visit all of them, I visited Ingrid and showed her how to weave her first salt dress, and I visited Cora, teaching her the best ways to untangle the plastic from all the animals, and I teach all of them, but especially Madeline, the dangers of loving someone on the surface.

I never, ever discourage them from loving. I only want them to understand how much love can kill you. Because, in the end, love is more magical than me, an ocean spirit forever wandering the earth.

Writing this book has been an amazing journey. Serendipity is more a part of me than myself at this point. I'd like to thank the lovely Loontje_K for her amazing support through all of this, as well as anyone who is reading this! I never thought that I would get a thousand reads, much less over 190k! And last but not least, please no one murder me. I ripped out my heart too, mind you.

Alrighty folks! As of January 2nd, the wonderful fresh start of 2021, there is a sequel up and available!! It can be found:

1. Right here -> https://www.wattpad.com/story/253504085-serendipity%27s-interlude-sequel-to-the-call 

2. Or in the list of my books! I love each and every one of y'all, thanks for putting up with my chaotic garbage!! :)