033 | the investigation begins

▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬

"ALBANY BRONWEN!"

Albany shot up out of her seat in surprise; she'd nearly forgotten about Fred and Carly as she watched over George where he lay asleep in his hospital bed. Fred didn't sound incredibly happy with her for not meeting up with them where they were supposed to, though as his expression softened the closer he drew, she figured he would forgive her. Carly followed him closely, hands clapping over her mouth in shock.

"What happened?" Fred asked her urgently, hazel eyes focused on George's resting face. "We went back to the Great Hall and we were waiting ages for you, then we overheard someone saying they saw George being lifted to the Hospital Wing-"

"I found him collapsed in the dungeons," Albany murmured, wincing at the thought. "I have no idea what happened to him."

Fred's face fell drastically as he gazed down at his twin. "Is he - is he going to be okay? I don't understand...."

"Yes, he'll be just fine," said Madam Pomfrey, approaching the bed upon noticing her patient had more visitors. She waved her wand above George's forehead, taking his temperature, and then nodded with certainty. "He has no signs of injury or trauma. I'm sure he will be waking up soon."

"No signs of dark magic either, I hope," growled Moody. He hadn't left the room either, keeping a cautious eye on Albany from where he stood ominously in a shadowed corner of the Hospital Wing.

Fred glanced in alarm from Moody to the nurse, but she shook her head as though the idea were nonsense.

"Dark magic would leave a mark, Professor, and Mr Weasley is all clear."

Carly's eyes narrowed as she examined the boy from a short distance.

Fred glanced to Albany. "Did he say anything to you? When you found him?"

Albany bit her cheek. "Not really, he was barely conscious.... All he said was 'I told her no.' Was that about...?"

"The girl who asked him to the ball? Probably," Fred agreed, and managed a weak chuckle. "That git. Of course the first thing he would do is assure you he still doesn't have a date."

Albany gave a small smile to that, though Carly didn't seem to find it so amusing, yet to tear her eyes from George.

"Who was the girl?" she asked seriously.

Fred shrugged. "Didn't know her. Slytherin, anyway."

Albany felt her face fall instantly. "What did she look like?"

"Straight dark hair," Fred detailed, scratching at his chin. "Kind of narrow. Oh, and she had these really bright golden eyes."

Albany frowned in confusion. Her first thought, naturally, had been Faith - she didn't want to believe her former friend would attack another student, but apparently, she hadn't. Faith's eyes were a chilling blue; in fact, she didn't know anyone with such a peculiar eye colour as golden. Carly hummed lowly in acknowledgement of Fred's description.