048 | puzzle pieces

▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬

ALBANY BRONWEN WAS GOING TO BE the death of George Weasley, and he was perfectly okay with that.

From the moment he'd met her gaze in the train station, fiery yet shielded, he'd been intrigued. Of the prankster duo, George liked to consider himself the brains behind the operation. He did the thinking, the planning, the puzzling together of their greatest tricks. While Fred shared this responsibility, he was more involved in the action and reward. They worked well that way, both happy. Fred loved explosive outcomes, and George enjoyed figuring things out. From the moment he'd met Albany Bronwen, he'd been drawn to figure her out, too.

He'd never intended on befriending the Slytherin, and certainly hadn't expected to catch feelings.

Both of these things had been, at first, collateral damage in an elaborate scheme to get to know her. Now, they were welcome experiences. Now, he spent time with Albany because they were friends. Because her smile made his heart beat out of his chest with joy, and her dry humour left any tension in his shoulders in the dust.

He was, as some would put it, hopelessly in love with the girl he'd merely once been curious about. She was a complex mystery with answers always held just out of reach, luring him in, further and further until he was free-falling in the dark and putting all his trust in her to catch him; she was also Albany Bronwen, whose laugh made roses bloom in his chest and whose dimples made his heart melt. Because of course she had dimples so endearing he couldn't tear his eyes away, and of course his dumb jokes brought a butterfly-inducing grin to her face.

The mystery was what had drawn him in, but Albany had wrapped him right around her finger and convinced him to stay. And he knew Albany, and how she bit her cheek when she was anxious, and covered her smile self-consciously. He knew she was more nervous a person than she let on, but a more fun-loving and good-humoured one, too. And really, how could anyone have expected him not to fall for her?

He couldn't remember when he'd first noticed his feelings — but Fred had known ever before he even considered telling him, as twins always do. There was no keeping secrets between the brothers; they knew each other inside out, like the back of their hands but better. And despite the teasing and joking George had to put up with as a result, Fred became a handy ally in the mission to win the girl's heart.

Well, maybe not to win her heart just yet. That was more like step seven of a five-step plan. Fred's job was simply gathering whether or not Albany was potentially interested in George in the same light in which he was interested in her, and then they would build on things from there.

"You're thinking about her again."

Apparently, even thinking of the devil made him appear. Fred wore a knowing smirk as he peered over his twin's shoulder at the same sheet of blank parchment George had been staring absently at for the past who-knows-how-long.